DFW Running Club

Comments

• Hi Poodle!
    Another very experienced runner. !

I would love to hear more about ultra marathons. It must hurt! Two London Marathons was enough for me. I have concentrated on halfs over the last couple of years, much less insane!

I hope that with a few of us on here to help each other along we should help with motivation , and no doubt your distance running experience will help those planning to go further!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2013: No 1898

Target 2013... Half Marathon under 2 Hrs:cool:

Run 2013 VLM in PB: -4:28.26
  • Welcome Just about!

I guess motivation is a big issue with many wannabe runners.

Are you planning a little cheeky 5k soon..... Tonight?

• poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Thanks!
    What I would say Justaboutthere is that I have felt that way about running too. I hate training but love racing! Why not stop with formal training plans and for a month just make a promise to yourself to get the gear on and get out the door 4 times a week. Have you tried off road running? This can be a lot more fun than plodding the roads- just find a nice trail or a nice little route and dont worry if you have to walk up the hills just try and run the flats and downs and forget milage for a while just get out and do the little runs and make them fun for yourself. Just getting out will improve the general fitness, just let yourself do as much or as little as you like as long as you get out and start running- quite often you end up completing a really good session!
  • Have to agree with Pood, after a little enforced break I went out yesterday and ended up running in a forest that I hardly know. No interest in times just enjoying being out. Once I am back in town I will knock out a faster run, but it's not everything.

You could sign up to a race perhaps?

• poodlegal
    Mascott- ultras arent that bad really, a lot easier than people think. 5 years ago I couldnt run a mile, I have now done pbs of under 11 hrs for 53miles (trail) and I did a sub 8hrs for a very hilly trail 43miles a couple of years ago. Probably being stubborn helps, but i'm by no means a 'fast' runner or someone who is diligent at training- most of its in the head when you get up to those distances.
  • poodlegal
    Forgot to add- been off running for a few weeks so my challenge is to start next week 4 running days a week- up to 5 in the new year. Target race is mid Feb! Did a few races in Oct so shouldnt be too hard to get going again.
  • JustAboutThere
    JustAboutThere Posts: 523
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 2:34PM
    Thanks guys,

I can't stop training . . . as I haven't actually done any running in a month or more (and hardly anything all year). As my clothes are definitely telling me.

A couple of other considerations (excuses?) is that (1) slightly dodgy knees, so although I can run on the Common and a treadmill OK, every step on concrete feels like I'm being stabbed in each knee. So, its either a gym session or wait for the weekend for the Common. (2) No car. I know this sounds stupid, but you have to think ahead and consider how much kit to put on / versus freezing at the bus stop before and after the run. If its on the weekend, I get to have a few more layers and put my bag in a car from someone at the club. Even in summer its still house keys, bus pass and some water.

I tend to do what I refer to as "tree running" when getting back into it. That is, run to a designated tree, walk a few trees, run to a tree (or the end of a song onthe MP3 player) and so on. Slowly, the distances get built up and I was going regularly a couple of years ago before the big gloom settled back in.

So, no 5k's in my upcoming future - and definitely not tonight as I'm meeting a few friends in a pub after work. That doesn't mean lots to drink - just a natter, and one drink. Two glasses of wine is pushing it for me.

So, I may get my kit on for Sunday, head up to the Common and even if its just a 'tootle', I'll try and give it a go. I do love it up there - even if not much of actual running gets done, at least I'm out and about and not hibernating - which sounds very enticing about this time of the year.
  • poodlegal
    Hey thats the spirit, how about doing your common tree running bimbles at weekend and a couple of brisk walks in the week from your door? If you could do a couple of miles brisk walking, on a hilly route it would build and strengthen your knees and help with weight loss/tone. It would also help to keep you in a routine of getting some sort of gear on and getting out. You could set yourself a challenge say to run 5 or 10k non stop in 6 weeks time or something?
  • Poodlegal,
    Blimey, don't get me looking at ultras! Interesting though as I tend to train well but sometimes struggle to push on for the last bit of a race.

Just about There,
    Sounds like a plan, and NOTHING should get in the way of a little drink here and there. Good luck with the tree running!

• vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Can I join you too? I have been running during my lunch hours for the last 4 years. I only do about 2 miles (it's all I can manage and still have time for a shower and eat my lunch at my desk) but I aim for at least 3 a week and it's quite hilly. It's definitely kept me in shape but I must say I only really do it out of duty and because I would go mad if I stayed in every lunch time (as I have this week as it's been too cold). I would rather go out on my bike :D

Having said that, I feel determined to go out for a few runs next week because although I don't really enjoy it I feel far more annoyed if I don't go.

Maybe that's what I need to do? Have a week off it every so often to motivate myself back into it? :think:

Sorry for all the waffle...
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure