Holiday While on Pension credit

Hello,

After taking volunteer retirment, my dad is receiving pension credit since Jan 2010. He has holiday home in outside uk. he was planning to go down there for around 3-4 months but someone told him that he can not stay outside uk more them 12 weeks.

is this true? how do they work it out. does the holiday start from january to december.

Comments

• brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    aamadami wrote: »
    Hello,

After taking volunteer retirment, my dad is receiving pension credit since Jan 2010. He has holiday home in outside uk. he was planning to go down there for around 3-4 months but someone told him that he can not stay outside uk more them 12 weeks.

is this true? how do they work it out. does the holiday start from january to december.

I would be careful if I were him. I do not qualify for pension credit as I have a holiday home abroad and when the value of that is taken into consideration it takes me out of pension credit
    Something Really Interesting
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Has he declared the holiday home as part of his means test?

You would expect that would eliminate him from pension credit as the value of second properties is classed as capital.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • holiday home is not on his name. he only has a house in uk. actually he is only going to stay there for short term. rest of the time he is going to travel different places. in other words he is planning to stay outside uk for 3-4 months.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So whose holiday home is it, you said it was his in your first post.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • So what if it is his, you dont have to declare everything! Their the ppl who are living the life while everyone else is on minimum wage.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So what if it is his, you dont have to declare everything!

So, you condone fraud against the taxpayer then?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    So, you condone fraud against the taxpayer then?

Only if you are a millionaire and then you seem to get away with it!
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    From what I can gather from helping my Mum (77) & Dad (82) cope with money,
    There are two different types of Pension Credit. Guarantee Credit is for those who have reached the minimum qualifying age. Savings Credit is for those aged 65 or over

However, I can't see the OP's Father getting the savings credit element as that is only paid to over-65s - and the OP says he's taken
    volunteer retirment
    which to me suggests he's probably under 65.

From Directgov website:
    Income that is counted towards Pension Credit

The amount of Pension Credit you get depends on how much money you have coming in each week and how much you have saved or invested.

The following types of income are taken into account when calculating your Pension Credit:
    • State Pension (including basic State Pension and additional State Pension)
    • occupational and private pensions
    • most social security benefits like Carer's Allowance
    • £1 a week for every £500 (or part of £500) of 'capital' you have over £10,000 - capital includes savings and investments, and property that's not your main home
    • earnings after tax and expenses from employment or self-employment, less half of any company or personal pension contribution you make
    So if the OP wasn't entirely truthful in the first post when he/she said:
    He has holiday home in outside uk.

and his Dad doesn't actually own the holiday home, I guess he's not (possibly) defrauding the taxpayer - at least in relation to owning a 2nd home.

From reading the stuff the DWP send my Dad, there may be something in writing that mentions stays outside the UK.

Best to read through it and if the answer to your question isn't there, ring them up.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    aamadami wrote: »
    Hello,

the maximum he can get pension credit is for 13 weeks, after that the claim has to close and he has to apply again, it does not work on a period ie jan to december either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure