PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hiya mummygems, we'll have to meet up for a coffee or summit... I know, see you in Asda for some woopsies :D:D:D

The mince & onion pie is going to be just bits & pieces of whatever I can find in the fridge/freezer really, but this is what I've got so far (sorry, no measurements as it literally will be whatever fills the pot)

Onion - diced
    Carrots - chopped into small pieces
    Swede - chopped into small pieces (adds a lovely flavour)

par-boil above ingredients, then add

Oats to bulk
    Mince (allready cooked and refrozen after freezer defrosted, so won't recook until now, but would normally cook while parboiling veg)
    gravy - not too much, just enough to mix to a nice consistency

Then put everything into a big pyrex dish, cover with jus-roll puff pastry (was a woopsie) - I only put it on the top, I don't line the dish with pastry - and cook for about 25 mins on Gas 5 (not sure on electric).

I might add some other bits of veg, got to check exactly what I've got, but I will dish up our dinner tonight then freeze remainder for another time - should get about 6-8 servings out of it.

Hope that helps, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a "see what's there, bung it in and see what comes out" kinda cook :o

I never find any whoopsies in any of the Asda or Tesco's no matter what time I go (and if there is anything at the A127 Tesco then I usually get pushed around or tutted at as I have a trolly with my two little ones in tow!!).

Thank you for the recipe. I can easily follow it even without the measurement and its easier that way so I can add different things for him and then half for me (he is a fussy so and so). I shall add the recipe to my meal plan and try it next week.

Hope your DH's job situation sorts itself out, I used to work for a local house building company and know that with all the construction industry being up in the air its a nightmare for all the workforce.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    afternoon folks

DH would like to know if anyone has a recipe for WONDERBITES

his moms cousin in Northern Ireland use to make them with :-

coconut,, the same as in a bounty bar
    chopped cherries
    all mixed together and rolled in melted chocolate

and he hasn't had one since 1969 and can still taste them
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PS Re the 7p mix for puff pastry- I used it last night. It felt a bit sticky using the amount of water they suggested but it cooked lovely- had it with my slow cooker stew. The stew was so nice we decided to ditch the curry idea and have it as stew again tonight, with tatties, beans and maybe some dumplings if I get round to making them. The 8p value jelly is currently setting- I had to take two to the till as DS had eaten into one on the way round and the bar code and all other labelling had rubbed off, onto his lovely clean bib lol :eek:
    Anyone got a lemon chicken recipe they'd be kind enough to post for me ?
    Thanks a lot.
    :D
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mummygems wrote: »
    I never find any whoopsies in any of the Asda or Tesco's no matter what time I go (and if there is anything at the A127 Tesco then I usually get pushed around or tutted at as I have a trolly with my two little ones in tow!!).

Thank you for the recipe. I can easily follow it even without the measurement and its easier that way so I can add different things for him and then half for me (he is a fussy so and so). I shall add the recipe to my meal plan and try it next week.

Hope your DH's job situation sorts itself out, I used to work for a local house building company and know that with all the construction industry being up in the air its a nightmare for all the workforce.

Thanks for your kind words. He's a bit miserable at the mo but now the weekends here, he'll cheer up as we have a 'beer budget' :rotfl: (I couldn't live with him if we didn't.... :D )

I know what you mean about the woopsies - very rarely get any - it's like a mad hunt in Asda when they put them out - everyone just starts pushing - god knows what it would be like if I had 2 little'uns with me - I shop at Pitsea Tesco and get a few bits now and again, but nearly always all gone by the time I get there - got some pork for Sunday today (about 1/3rd off) some raisin loaf for 15p and 2 choc croissants for 15p, which was nice...:D

Just going to update siggy now...

EDIT: OOOOH, NEARLY FORGOT - Utterly butterly original and omega 3 on 2 for £1.50 at the moment in Mr T's - and 3 x hovis soft white 3 for £2.50 (83p each - still expensive, but better than £1.24 EACH!)
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • jackiegibbo
    jackiegibbo Posts: 603 Forumite
    Just popped in to update my sig.Spent £33.71 in asdas last night,the fridge was very bare so i had to fill it!!!

Good luck everyone:T :T
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    WOW!!!:j :j

I have just mixed up the yoghurt cake:j and

do you remember when your mum used to give you the spoon to lick ,,its like that ,,,golly, gosh it tastes bl****y nice and its not even made yet

will keep you posted

While I was wiling away the hours on here my yoghurt cake nearly burnt,, it has a crisp outer layer but by god it tastes very nice,,, it was a strawberry yoghurt we had in the fridge,,, thing is I have an apple and kiwi yoghurt still in the fridge so will have to wait and see

see ya
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    EEEEEKKKKK! :eek: :eek: I have 21p to last me to the end of next week!!! :eek: :eek: Not going to happen as still have bits on my list to get - out of bleach and beans - mainstays in our house with kids & dogs! :D , still, I know it won't be way over so just need to keep it as tight as possible.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    just grabbing a cuppa before i brave the weather with the dogs....had my coat on twice now, only to have the heavens open as soon as we got up the garden path :mad: i'm willing the rain clouds to blow over and leave us alone!!

SAV3R keep your chin up sweetheart, we all have down days, but things can only get better (((hugs)))

IfOnlyItWasEasier hope you're feeling better soon....at least you're not spending money when you're poorly!! :D

Denise hope things pick up for your OH soon.it must be awful going to work when he hates the job so much

well, i can't believe how well i've done this week...i've still got over £30 in my purse to last me to Sunday :j so if i'm really really good i shouldn't need to spend much more, and it can go towards getting the flippin fridge fixed :rolleyes:

right am gonna try and brave the weather again.................. if you see a drowned woman with 3 soaking wet dogs, that'll be me!!! :D
    hiya dont know if this will be of any use but B&Q have fridges on offer at£86 which i know is still a lot but not much more than your repair job and at least it would be covered for 12 months,pity your not closer to me as i have an itergrated one spare,hth,sorry if its of no use though.x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I posted this on the voucher discussion thread but thought someone on here might have the answer (just in case I need to cancel my order!).

When you use the money off code (for Tesco), say £5 off £50 and the total of your shopping plus delivery is something like £55 and they accept the voucher but after all the BOGOF and 2 for £1 type things have been taken off the total is £46 (and therefore under £50) will they still accept the code seeing as they accepted it online and nothing gets deducted until they go through the checkout?

Does that make sense lol.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

Well i went on my "whoopsie hunt" to the NAFFI this morning..and woo hoo :j I spent €36.21 when it should have been €79.91 :T .... including 8x2litre bottles of whole fresh milk, 6 granary bread flour, 5 lancashire/leicester cheese for hubby, fresh chicken €2 , packs of peppers, 3 marscapone, jacket potatoes, bananas, broccoli
    Have enough flour, cheese, marscapone etc to last several months (just need to track down marscapone recipes):D

I made the cauli/broccoli cheese and we have had it with roast chicken, steamed potatoes and lots of the veggies from the garden -we still have about 3/4 of the cauli cheese left and lots of extra cheese sauce so i will freeze that up later,
    have also used one of the big courgettes with lots of other veggies, garlic, tomatoes, soya beans, smoked paprika to make a casserole thingy -which i will freeze in portions to -if i have enough room in the freezers :o
    Im going to try and ignore the 14 pieces of banana and coconut cake and the kiwi muffins i made and froze just before i went away ...had forgot about those until i went in the freezer earlier :rotfl: ..think i will stick them in hubbies sandwich box 1 at a time until they are gone ;)

hugs to all those in need today... have a good day everyone and keep at it..
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport