Navmii Free Sat Nav App for iphone/ipad

revpeachy
revpeachy Posts: 276 Forumite
edited 26 January 2016 at 2:00PM in Freebies gone but not forgotten
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-uk-roi/id391334793?mt=8

NAVFREE The world's first FREE 'onboard' professional GPS navigation software, with turn-by-turn directions, voice guidance, auto-rerouting, live ‘Google’ Search, for the iPhone and iPad. The best GPS navigation software for the iPhone/iPad for FREE

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: The app is now called Navmii. If you have an iPhone, simply download this free app which works as a sat nav.

MSE Darren tried this a couple of years ago and his view was "it works well as a sat nav, though some of the maps aren't 100% up to date. If you're doing a cross country trip it should get you there, but for accurate traversing of small road you may have some problems. Still if you don't have a sat nav, and don't need one, but would like one for back up - its a cracker for the price (ie free!)"

Also, the iTunes app page says "No data connection is required for downloading maps".

Thanks to revpeachy for the original post.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Great find.
    Just checked my local area, several street names need changing, which i am doing via the "map feedback tool" on the program.

Remember the "map feed back tool" because just think if we all update the errors it will be the best mapping system in the world. As nothing beats local knowledge.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • liv1975
    liv1975 Posts: 10 Forumite
    How does this compare to Skobbler? I've been using that on the iPhone for a while now and find it very good.
  • I used this and it took me on a much longer journey (added about 0.5 hours to a 2 hour journey) and ended up going across a toll bridge I didn't even know existed. I believe it's because it has the speed limits for most roads wrong so when set to fastest route, it takes you on roads it thinks are faster.
  • does this work on ipod touch ?
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    does this work on ipod touch ?
    Yes.

But unless you could maintain a Wi-fi connection for the full journey its hard to use as a GPS in the car.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • MissLead
    MissLead Posts: 28 Forumite
    I have downloaded this and will have a go. Have been using Google Maps quite successfully up until now but it isn't a substitute for a true satnav system, at least I imagine so! I will post again when I have used it! Thanks for the tip!
  • Despite being quite into technology, ive never had sat nav on my iphone or ipad. Does it require an internet connection when out and about, or just a phone signal? The reason I ask is that I live very rurally, and nether the phone or internet can be taken for granted. My slow broadband is taking forever to download the app, im interested to know if its even worth it for me (ie will I be able to use it?)

Thanks for any info
  • helenhugs
    helenhugs Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    Fantastic thanks :) great for hubbys phone :) no iphone for me though unfortunately.
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.
    Good Enough Club member number 8
    :j £2 coin club = now in a sealed tin so I'm not sure
  • I suppose you should ask for much when it's free but this app doesn't even show my town in any detail at all. No roads at all for my town.

The GPS location just shows me as being in the middle of nowhere.
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I've just bought an iPhone so I might try this app! :)

I used Google Maps Navigation on my old phone for a simple journey just to see how it worked. When it should have told me to stay in the left hand lane, it told me to stay in the right hand lane and took me through the Tyne Tunnel (it was too late to get back into the correct lane as it was too busy). Anyhoo...the guy at the toll on the other end found the funny side of it and stopped all the traffic so I could do a u-turn and go back through! :D

Worst thing is that for a new product it didn't know very much as the roundabout in question has been closed for over 2 years! :eek:
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure