scottish power

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    joe134 wrote: »
    Do not rely on E-mails, phone them 0800400200, they cannot lock you in if you phone today and opt out.Why e=mail when the phone is free?do it today;they have spam boxes too, exept ther,s is more convenient than yours.

I'm a Scottish Power customer..... I just phoned them on this number, and after several toings and froings, they said I could go onto Energy Saver 7 now, a discount of at least 3% from my present rate; obviously its variable, and my present rate isn't, but they also said that there are no charges for changing between SP products at the moment.........
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I emailed them the other day asking to change from Energy 6 to Energy 7 and was told that there would be a £50 charge because I would be changing before the July 2010 end date.

If there is no charge to change products at the moment then the left hand isn't talking to the right.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm just out of the lock in period............. sorry they're giving you such a raw deal .....
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    KTF wrote: »
    I emailed them the other day asking to change from Energy 6 to Energy 7 and was told that there would be a £50 charge because I would be changing before the July 2010 end date.

If there is no charge to change products at the moment then the left hand isn't talking to the right.
    That,s why you are better ringing on freephone, e-mails just generate an automatic response, NO,however, talking to someone just might persuade them to say YES. In your case though, to be fair, you are pretty well locked in till 2010, they are feeling the pinch with so many leaving.It,s worth a try, best of luck
  • sharonB
    sharonB Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    joe134 wrote: »
    That,s why you are better ringing on freephone, e-mails just generate an automatic response, NO,however, talking to someone just might persuade them to say YES. In your case though, to be fair, you are pretty well locked in till 2010, they are feeling the pinch with so many leaving.It,s worth a try, best of luck

I agree, I was on Energy Saver 6 until I read this thread earlier and I phoned them and in a couple of minutes he had switched me to Energy Saver 7 without questions etc.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    What makes me angry is when you have to phone companies like this they almost always have a high rate phone number for existing customers and a freephone number for potential ones it is the same in scottish powers case
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Lady_K wrote: »
    What makes me angry is when you have to phone companies like this they almost always have a high rate phone number for existing customers and a freephone number for potential ones it is the same in scottish powers case
    Yes if you are daft enough to use their 0845 number, but they have several 0800 numbers you can use for them, it,s just knowing them.0800400200, there are others too.Saynoto0870 web site,is good for them.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    My daughters gas and elec accounts with scottish power have been taken over by another firm, scottish southern without her requesting it. Shes recieved no bills at all so she called today to give her readings and ask to be put on the energy 7 tarrif and they said she hadnt been a customer since July. They said its going to take about 6 or more weeks to sort out
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • I also followed the link in the email last week to opt out of the capped rate before the end of September deadline, and the page indicated that this had been done.

Just by chance I checked yesterday and no update had occured. A response to an email I sent confirmed I was still on the capped rate.

Glad I spotted it because otherwise I'd have had to somehow prove I really had clicked the link. Really not happy.

Phoned today and a helpful lady moved me to the standard online tariff which gives me time to decide what to do.

My question - I could go for the Online Saver 7 but I'm not clear on how it works? When I go to a comparison site the saving it seems to offer over the standard online tariff seems to be a lot more than the quoted 3%, I think because of the difference in the gas prices. Is that just to lure me in and the gap will reduce down closer to the 3%, is it capped, or have these deals traditionally been better. Just slightly confused.

For the record my gas is about 20,000kwh which seems to be fairly average, but electricity is more like 6500kwh which seems very high so will have to figure out what's eating it up with the energy meter.
  • I hope that someone can offer some help with this situation.
    I was on the SP fixed price Aug 2009, and like everyone else I received the e-mail offering me a further cap. I had not been too impressed with SP since signing up in May last year and fully intended to switch anyway. I opted out as per the e-mail, I didn't like the idea of being tied in for a further year anyway. I then received a further e-mail offering a new price plan (Online Energy Saver 6) still nothing that I could see about the tariff that I would be put on if I did nothing but having opted out of a fixed price/tied in plan believed I would be going onto the standard rates and this would free me up to switch.
    I recently checked the tariff with SP and received confirmation from them that the tariff I am now on, Capped Price Energy September 2011, not only has exit fees that I was trying to get free of but I am now tied to them for not 1 but 2 years.

Has anyone else had this issue, and how can they simply tie you in for another period set by them and without my agreement?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure