When 1st MOT due on new car

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    saintjanet wrote: »
    One guy on another forum, thought that as he only did 2k miles a year ,his car would only need servicing every six years.He was serious too!!

The other thing we seem to get quite regular is people believing an MOT checks absolutely everything, and is a service. Seems to be quite a common misconception.

If anyone can't be bothered paying for servicing, my advice is buy a banger and a Haynes manual and a couple of tools.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    ahll wrote: »

I didn't come on here to be insulted I took responsibiltiy by coming here and asking to find out as NO ONE had given me any information about this when I bought the car.

But this is the basics we are taliking here, nobody should even own a car if they do not first know the very basics about the legalities of owning one.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Inactive wrote: »
    But this is the basics we are taliking here, nobody should even own a car if they do not first know the very basics about the legalities of owning one.

It's probably a question on the theory test.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    KeithP wrote: »
    Ahll, I think some people get a little weary being expected to answer questions that could easily be answered with a little bit of research.
    For example, if you google when is mot due, the first item on the resultant list is... http://www.ukmot.com/next.asp?ID=52

Totally fed up and astonished more like.
  • LandyAndy
    Forumite
    ahll wrote: »
    Oh it must be due now then but I havn't had a letter or anything !

10 Jan 05

Even in Britain in 2008 you are still expected to do some things for yourself.
  • LandyAndy
    Forumite
    saintjanet wrote: »
    Sorry to have to say this but anyone who does not know when and how often an MOT is required should not be driving on our roads.

Like insurance ,an MOT is your responsibility and ignorance is no defence if you are stopped by the police,I assume you have insurance because if you have no MOT and should have one, you could find the insurance is void,not very helpful if you happen to hit another vehicle.

:T :T :T :T
  • LandyAndy
    Forumite
    anewman wrote: »
    The other thing we seem to get quite regular is people believing an MOT checks absolutely everything, and is a service. Seems to be quite a common misconception.

If anyone can't be bothered paying for servicing, my advice is buy a banger and a Haynes manual and a couple of tools.

My favourites are the ones who say something along the lines of:

'I bought my car second hand twelve years ago and now the tyres are bald. Can I get the price of replacements from the garage, because they said the tyres were fine when I bought it, or should I go straight to sueing the manufacturer?:rolleyes:
  • intranix
    intranix Posts: 247 Forumite
    To be fair, an MOT is not proof of road worthyness, and really in terms of law it is nothing but a ticket which the law says you should have.

Afterall, i expect some of you have less than 12 months left ;) till the cars next mot during which next time your car could be much less than road worthy but can drive it "legally" in terms of the MOT, till the next one is due.

Give the girl a break guys.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    intranix wrote: »
    To be fair, an MOT is not proof of road worthyness, and really in terms of law it is nothing but a ticket which the law says you should have.

Afterall, i expect some of you have less than 12 months left ;) till the cars next mot during which next time your car could be much less than road worthy but can drive it "legally" in terms of the MOT, till the next one is due.

Give the girl a break guys.

i would bet everyone who has an mot has less than 12 months on it,as it only lasts 12 months.(unless mot done this morning)
    and if you get your car motd,then service it 6 months later,and keep an ear out for theose little noises and investigate them when they happen,check tyres regularly,oil,water etc... you should find your car is in as good condition as it was last mot.maybe the odd advisory here or there but nothing too serious.
    ...work permit granted!
  • ahll wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought a car a year or 2 ago and I was wondering if anyone knows when you have to get the car first MOT'd ?

Apart from a few not very helpful replies I can't actually see if anyone has responded to your question.

A car must have an MOT as soon as it is three years old and then every year afterwards.

If it was new two years ago it won't need one for another year.

As someone else mentioned as well just because a car has an MOT doesn't mean it is roadworthy. It only means it was on the day the test was done.

Hope this helps and ignore the childish replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure