Unclaimed prize register

Comments

• You could just tear up the letter and send it back - maybe with no stamp.
    I'll often write and make it blatantly obvious that they're wasting their time with me - if they have any business sense they then won't waste money (and my time) sending future mailshots to my address.

Could argue that neither the above are effective in which case why waste any of your valuable time - just bin/shred the letter.

Anyway there's a very informative thread on this at theanswerbank.co.uk.
    http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Business-and-Finance/Question213014.html

It includes a link to a piece the Guardian did on the scam
    http://money.guardian.co.uk/scamsandfraud/story/0,,2174222,00.html
  • Hi
    I have just got another letter from a company that operates from a different address, with a different name, but with the same style of red 'stamp' title in the top right hand corner with another variant on the premium line phone scam.
    It is from a company called Call 4 cash operating out of Ilford, Essex and you have to ring a £1.50 a minute phone number to win a Mini Cooper, a Samsung 50" Plasma TV, a Playstation 3 or 100+ MP3 players.... mm I wonder which one I would get if I was stupid enough to ring?....Oh and all electrical awards are sent insured delivery which costs another £6.95.

How does the law allow these rip off merchants to function?
  • I have apparently won a Swiss& Austrian Tour for 2 - all the digital cameras were already allocated to other applicants.
    It says I'll have to pay £75 refundable booking fee, it sounds too dodgy though so I won't be posting anything else off.
  • I've just recieved this letter. Read about the scam on the gaurdian's site where they posted what the codes had won people. Would it not be a good idea for us all to post the codes we've recieved??!?
    I haven't called or posted but my code was 509641 - letter dated 6th March 08

I've never entered these things as I know they're a def scam, the letters are as bad as the scratch cards you get in mags. All this talk of recycling and cutting down on carbon footprints... think somehow they're targeting the wrong people!!!!
  • I often get these letters through the door but NEVER use the phone line. By law they have to give you the option to use a postal address (which I do) to get the claim number. The last time I did this I won (as expected) the crappiest prize which was the MP3 player but they wanted £9.95 post & packing. I could buy one for that! The other rubbish prize which you're likely to end up with is a holiday. They will give you a weekend abroad in an apartment somewhere but you have to get yourself there. In other words, it's going to end up costing you.
  • Yeah, I got one of these letters too, I might send off the SAE, (70p isn't exactly going to break the bank) just to find out what I've won, if it's a digital camera, I won't claim and I don't see that I've lost anything. Do these companies legally have to have all the prizes they mention in the letter? Is there really £25k up for grabs?

I also got a letter today offering me £2,249,266 with the small print on the back " WAA [the company from which the letter came] does not award and/or hold cash or prizes of any sort." of course they wanted a £20 processing fee. The reply envelope isn't even postage paid so i can't so much as make them pay the postage to receive my claim slip telling them to F off.

I did a scratch card once, so under pressure from my wife who's desperate for a holiday, I sent off for my claim number by text, costing me £9. Turns out I'd won a holiday in Majorca I sent off the claim form, got my reply back which said I had 2 weeks to reply accepting the offer. The holiday was for 1 person to majorca, staying in a 3 star self-catering place, and I couldn't even choose when to go, oh and they wanted me to send a £39 "processing fee". I could probably get a return flight to majorca by myself for that. You live, you learn.
  • bella165
    bella165 Posts: 13,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    you lot dont waste your time shred them snd stick em in you compost bin
    Replies to posts are always welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • I have also received one of these letters with the allocation code of 603498, i am going to post off for my "prize" and i will let you all know what the outcome is. No doubt it will be the digi camera but it has got to be worth the price of a couple of stamps,cheers:)
  • lahli
    lahli Posts: 1 Newbie
    raycboy wrote: »
    I have also received one of these letters with the allocation code of 603498, i am going to post off for my "prize" and i will let you all know what the outcome is. No doubt it will be the digi camera but it has got to be worth the price of a couple of stamps,cheers:)

What a coincidence! I've received a letter this week with the same allocation code. I thought there was a catch so am glad that I didn't even waste the price of 2 stamps. Also, I think once you respond to these letters, they will keep sending them to you.:j
  • Fancy that! Just today I received a letter from these scammers with my "personal allocation code" of 603498.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure