PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Thank you Sammy D,
    Good post, hope you and your family are safe and well.

What you say is common sense and works here too.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Mad-Frog
    Mad-Frog Posts: 936 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2012 at 10:36AM
    vanoonoo wrote: »
    this is what got me thinking - cross posting sorry but thanks to pugsley

I cannot imagine any scenario why you would have to have a bag containing all that video entails anytime in the UK

The only way anyone here would have to leave their house would be due to flooding in my opinion. Gas leaks would only involve a few hours at the most and would only affect a few houses in any one area, personally I would go to a persons house not affected to go to a hotel ... or the pub :D

Electricity going off again would not last more than a few hours and some candles and a torch would suffice. I would play on my iPad personally if no TV etc

We don't have earthquakes that devastate houses, nor hurricanes or twisters etc we are lucky compared to some Countries.

Seriously I don't see any need to panic or get bug out bags in the making. A blanket in the car, a torch and some spare batteries would see most of us through any minor crisis, being snowed in is exaggerated again in my opinion it might not be pleasant to go outside and trudge through thick snow but rarely are roads impassible unless in remote areas

I would recommend a head torch and a spare battery, when we were camping it was much easier to put up/down tents in the dark, cook food, find stuff in bags etc with a head torch than the wind up torch we took with us.
  • SammyD_2
    SammyD_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2012 at 10:36AM
    Mad-Frog, you are right, the UK is lucky in that earthquakes and tornadoes are unlikely. But I did have to walk a very long way home after the disruptions with the bombings in 2005 when I worked in the City. And my father in law is always on about the dreadful snow storms when he was a lad (not sure exactly when - prob the 1960's) where they opened the door and the snow was over it - he is from Dorset. And it also pays to think when you are on holiday - where there are other potential disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis etc. Crikey, I am a right ray of sunshine....

And thank you Popperwell, yes, we are all ok - house not too badly damaged, a new workplace, and a whole City Centre to rebuild.
  • Mad-Frog
    First Anniversary
    vanoonoo wrote: »
    this is what got me thinking - cross posting sorry but thanks to pugsley
    SammyD wrote: »
    Mad-Frog, you are right, the UK is lucky in that earthquakes and tornadoes are unlikely. But I did have to walk a very long way home after the disruptions with the bombings in 2005 when I worked in the City. And my father in law is always on about the dreadful snow storms when he was a lad (not sure exactly when - prob the 1960's) where they opened the door and the snow was over it - he is from Dorset. And it also pays to think when you are on holiday - where there are other potential disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis etc. Crikey, I am a right ray of sunshine....

And thank you Popperwell, yes, we are all ok - house not too badly damaged, a new workplace, and a whole City Centre to rebuild.

Sammy I agree with you, the danger of you being caught up in something terrible would apply outside your home making an emergency bug out bag irrelevant. I hope you didn't witness anything too traumatic on that dreadful day!

When on holiday in the Indian ocean I did look to see where I would go if a tsunami struck, thankful that we are all now aware of that danger but a bit sad that so many lost their lives because we all were never taught anything about the danger :o

I must have missed your post why is your city centre being rebuilt? Sorry no offence meant by that question
  • Popperwell
    SammyD wrote: »

Only once have I felt an Earth Tremour and that rumbling sound, I was not really sure what had happened, I had just gone to bed but had the radio on and someone in London said the chairs and table had moved in the studio and I realised that's what I had experienced slightly. I was 250 miles from the capital. I forget where it was centred. Mum slept through it as i think I would have if I had not just got into bed...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Mad-Frog wrote: »
    Sammy I agree with you, the danger of you being caught up in something terrible would apply outside your home making an emergency bug out bag irrelevant. I hope you didn't witness anything too traumatic on that dreadful day!

When on holiday in the Indian ocean I did look to see where I would go if a tsunami struck, thankful that we are all now aware of that danger but a bit sad that so many lost their lives because we all were never taught anything about the danger :o

I must have missed your post why is your city centre being rebuilt? Sorry no offence meant by that question

If sammyD is in Christchurch they have to rebuild after 2 bad earthquakes.
    I lived in Japan for 3 years so am used to earthquakes, and people there are told to have an emergency bag - not everyone does of course, but many more people than here.
  • Mad-Frog
    First Anniversary
    Sammy sorry I realise you mentioned New Zealand as My Grand parents lived in Christchurch UK I got a bit confused (it doesn't take much :o)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Either our local MrT is having a problem getting stock or people are buying to store.

Lots of shelves empty or very low, even the freezers!!!

Broccoli is labelled as from Poland and is expensive. The cheap tinned potatoes were all gone and so had all the cheap value kidney beans and the brand up from that. No tinned tomato soup at all and no chicken pies in the freezer section whatsoever.

All a bit worrying if you ask me.
  • Popperwell
    Something is going on...now the only real way I could guage would be comparing my Tesco's with others in the group or rivals in the vacinity. I sometimes think mine is too small or some sections are for certain products...

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have been to mr a today and didn't seem to be any low stock issues. Until after I left haha
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family