Anyone work for Yodel?

Saw an advert and thought might be something I could fit round kids? Got a call back asking me to phone their recruitment line on 0871 number. Not keen on 0871 numbers.

Before I phone anyone work for them now or recently?

Thanks in advance.

Crimson

Comments

• hi,

ive recently left yodel in may of this year.

personaly I wouldnt work for them again for the following reasons:

-Petrol prices doesnt really make it that worth while
    -you HAVE to be in 5 mornings a week mon-fri to get the parcles in, which can be from anytime from 7am-2pm!
    -you get paid 65p per parcle delivered (even if you have to go back to try and catch the customer in you only get paid for signature)
    -If a parcle goes missing they are straight on the phone asking who it was delivered to and what they look like.
    -your car totaly gets a hard life - stopping and starting every two mins isnt going to do the car any good.
    -they do catoulog delivery 4 times a year nd you expected to deliver about 800+ in the space of two weeks, bearing in mind these are BIG ones so you can only have so many in car at a time.

so personally i wouldnt do it again but thats up to you.

every fortnight i was getting paid about £70, minus the petrol expense that you have to cover yourself £20pw = £40, so realistically for two weeks work i was earning £30! minus the wear and tear of my car and customers ringing you at stupid o'clock demanding you deliver their parcle NOW!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    My wife used to deliver 20-30 parcels a day, and used to collect from the depot solving the waiting in problem. its 65p a parcel and catalogues are 40p, once a year they are big ones and the rest are small. The last batch which we had 500 was £200 and didnt take long at all as you have 2 weeks todo. If you are focused its very easy todo.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    We do work for Hermes and Yodel and found them both to be fine. I think it depends what area you cover. Don't forget you can claim petrol and car costs back of the tax bill. We get £1 a parcel and anywhere up to 80 a day, so it's worth doing for us. We just done 400 catalogues and got £206. got another lot now.
  • Another thing that needs to be remembered is that you should also have a haulage/courier insurance policy for your car or you are breaking the law. You should also have goods in transit insurance. These alone would make it uneconomic?
  • merlin68
    My insurance wasn't that high £553 for the year with courier cover.com. You don't need goods in transit insurance these are covered by the company.
  • My mum does this -

The big problem with them is the pay, they simply do not pay enough to earn a living.

They are trying to force the price per parcel down even further (some are as low as 40p a parcel - and thats not the catalogues!), the price of petrol means that this is simply not viable. Also, as stated you are expected to attempt delivery twice and then return undelivered parcels - you do not get paid if it is not delivered no matter how many times you have tried (and each attempt costs you in petrol).

My mum does it simply because she enjoys the work, but she works for well below the minimum wage and has the hassle of being self-employed (no employment rights, no sick/holiday pay and having to submit tax returns)

The plus points are you can fit the work around your life, so if you are at home every weekday morning and have a spare hour or two in the afternoon it fits nicely.

The downside is without doubt the pay (or lack thereof!), in my opinion you cannot earn a living doing it. However if you are just looking for something to get you out of the house or for "pin money" then this might suit
  • Im looking at the self employment side of yodel Ive been told you have to work every day is that just mon- sat, also I have my kids to look after in the half term do they take this into consideration can you take that time off?, What is the price per parcel or does it vary per location. Is there a certain amount of hours you have to work.

Could anybody give me any views on this question as it will determine whether i go ahead and work or not, I had thought about doing the delivery in the evening but dont know what time you can deliver upto.

Does anyone out there have any answers please, I have a call back from yodel next wk, so replies before then would be handy
  • merlin68
    We've done better than we expected the first month we done 2-3 days a week and earnt £660 and last month we done 3 whole weeks and got £1100, but we spend about £50 a week on fuel. His now got his own round so should be even better. We get 85p on one and £1.05 on another. We easily get 50-100 parcels a day. We have to work mon-sat.
    I think your better working for Hermes as the parcel volumes are higher one poor guy got 170 the other day and another got 210.
  • merlin68
    You can't deliver in the evening only as lots of parcels have a time band, you can deliver up till 8.00 though. you can take the kids with you in the car, lots of people do. But unless you have a small round, you won't fit them in.
  • Levster
    Levster Posts: 15 Forumite
    I am thinking of working for a company like Yodel so I'm happy to find this thread. Would it be possible to work for them Mon-Fri, 9-5? And if so could I make the same as working the same hours for minimum wage? Also, do you have to pick up the parcels or do they get delivered to you first?

Thanks guys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport