How to change headlight - VW Polo?

Comments

• Hi goldspanners,

Just worried I'm going to break it!! I can see the bulb itself moving inside the lamp as I tug on it from inside - will give it one more try. Would I need to get a whole new headlight if I bust it.....could be a false economy methinks - just makes me mad!!
  • ask a friend to do it
  • Had the same problem changing my Ford Mondeo side light bulbs

You have to be patient though and take your time. As someone suggested get a friend to help you, in the long run youll save yourself a few quid and youll know how to do it if it occurs again on your wifes car
    "One Man Can Make A difference" Michael Knight KNIGHTRIDER
  • I removed the bumper as a last resort, but there is a much simpler way.......

Refers to a 2003 polo 1.2

Remove the rubber cover from the back of the bulb.
    Pull off the connector (may need a wiggle as you pull as they are quite tight)
    Looking inside (may need to use a mirror) there is a black plastic ring, which has 2 torq screws diametrically opposite. These screws must be loosened, but not removed so that the black plastic locking ring can be turned. Turn the locking ring anti-clockwise only a little, there will be a little click.
    The bulb is then free to come out.
    Refitting is simply the reverse, but do not touch the glass on the bulb.
    Make sure the lug which sticks out on the backplate of the bulb goes to the top
    Turn the locking ring clockwise and nip up the 2 torq screws, but dont go mad!
    Refit the connector and the rubber plug
    Done!
    Should take 5 mins rather than the 1 1/2 hours to remove the bumper and light assembly!
    Best of luck
  • I noticed the Headlight bulb on my wifes 02 plate Polo had gone yesterday. Tried looking at doing it myself but thought Id consult the manuel first. It just says to take it to a VW dealer. :mad:

This morning she took it to local Independant mechanics in Wickford and they only charged her £5 to supply and fit :j Result
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    alnsv1000s wrote: »
    I noticed the Headlight bulb on my wifes 02 plate Polo had gone yesterday. Tried looking at doing it myself but thought Id consult the manuel first. It just says to take it to a VW dealer. :mad:

IMO this should be illegal - changing bulbs is a basic emergency repair to make to a vehicle :mad:
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I noticed the Headlight bulb on my wifes 02 plate Polo had gone yesterday. Tried looking at doing it myself but thought Id consult the manuel first. It just says to take it to a VW dealer. :mad:

This morning she took it to local Independant mechanics in Wickford and they only charged her £5 to supply and fit :j Result
    £5 supply and fit? Most Headlight bulbs cost more than £5! Bargain!

Headlight bulbs can be a nightmare to fit. I have quite small hands and even I have difficulty working in such confib=ned spaces sometimes! I've heard horror stories of having to remove bumpers and certain standard hologen bulbs being contained within sealed units before (MX-5 for example). Something as rountine as a headlight bulb should be reletively easy to get at in my opinion, and anything other than that is mere marketing by manufacturers. I can understand them being tight to reach etc, but it takes the biscuit having to replace a whole headlight unit or remove a bumper!
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

There's a good general point here - look for a good small garage. Manufacturers' agents employ too many "suits" who liaise with customers etc. You need a place where the mechanics rule. I have such a garage locally - 3 mechanics including the owner plus someone who sells stuff, takes bookings etc. I can tap into their experience e.g how long do coolant hoses last nowadays? [answer: pretty well forever].
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    dont be afraid of breaking it, my dad is a mechanic and he is insanely strong. he always changes the bulbs on my cars, no matter how awkward they have been (307, Bora, Accord, Civic) and he puls pushes and prods things that i think will break but they never do... the socket on the bulb will be tight as it may have been originally connected by a robot... (i have no idea how cars are put together...)
  • Ignore the myth & legend. It's not hard & can be done by any owner if they are determined to do so. No tools are necessary except possibly a small hand mirror. This probably applies to other makes/models too, have a go & don't be put off by the dire warnings in the owners handbook. This book is to help manufacturers & dealers, not you!
    Open the bonnet & find a round rubber cover with a tab behind the headlamp. This pulls off. It's possible to see inside the lamp if you stick your forehead to the top of the coolant bottle or, try the hand mirror to have a look. The bulb is retained by a circular black plastic ring with 2 tabs which need to be twisted a very small amount (it should click). This releases the bulb still attached to the wires. Prise off the wires now the bulb is in your hand & replace, reversing the sequence. It is important to replace the bulb the right way up (there are only 2 ways) as there is a flat on it which engages with the lampholder. This means you need to replace the 2 wires the same way they came off. If you lose track it's possible to see which way up the bulb goes by peering inside the lamp. Replace the rubber cover & check the light. Bulbs cost about £5 from any motor factors/parts shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure