Energy Saving Trust Q&A Centre

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Forumite
edited 17 November 2010 at 3:16PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Hi everyone

We're giving the Energy Saving Trust this thread so that anyone having questions they'd like to ask about saving energy and renewables can do so.

Obviously the Energy Saving Trust representatives won't be online 24/7 so won't always be able to reply straight away but they'll try to reply as soon as they can.

They'll have official representative status from us (their username will be purple) and the official signature so you'll they are who they say they are.

As usual if you feel something's been posted on this thread that we need to be aware of please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

Andrea :)
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Have you got any questions about energy saving products and how they can stop you wasting energy?

Well, you've come to the right place, our product experts from the Energy Saving Trust are here to answer any questions you may have. Simply post your question below.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Edale
    Edale Posts: 240
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi
    Do you have any information as to when the renewable heat incentive levels are going to be confirmed, I had read somewhere they were going to be announced before the end of November. I am considering replacing my 20+ year old oil boiler with an ASHP and it would be good to know the level of support before I make the decision.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    A question about silver foil products put behind radiators.

As you are probably aware there are manufacturers making outrageous claims on the savings these products can give e.g. 20%.

I have rung EST twice(last time 15 Nov 2010) to be told that EST have not tested these panels and have no information on these products.

I have since found that in your business section you do have information:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Housing-professionals/Interactive-tools/Hard-to-treat-homes/Matrix/Reflective-radiator-panels

It states:
    Description
    Reflective material installed behind radiators to reduce heat loss through external walls. Rolls of foam ~3mm thick with a metallic film are available in DIY outlets, or more rigid profiled units are available from manufacturers.

Unit cost of installation
    Typically panels cost approximately £3 - £4 each.

Bulk cost of installation
    Data not available.

Indicative energy cost and carbon emissions

£ saving a year £5 to £25

kgC/yr saving 15 to 35

Maintenance
    None normally required.

Technical suitability
    The rolls of thin foam with a metallic coating need to be fitted with the radiator off the wall. The more rigid profiled variety can be fitted with the radiator in-situ. The panels are most effective when fitted behind radiators that are mounted on un-insulated external walls.

Non-technical constraints
    No specific issues.

Potential concerns with fuel poor
    None.

Ancillary benefits
    None.

Trigger points for work
    Work to the central heating system or decoration.

Performance Limitations
    None.

I have scoured the internet and can find no tests at all that demonstrate any savings.

Can you please give the reference of any tests carries out, or give a technical explanation how you have reached your conclusions please?
  • Energy_Saving_Trust_company_representative
    edited 30 November 2010 at 2:28PM
    Hello,

In response to the question on the Renewable Heat Incentive, they have confirmed that it will take place from June 2011 but unfortunately we don’t as yet know the structure and exact date. Our best advice would be to check the DECC website to keep updated. http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/consultations/rhi/rhi.aspx

I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Cardew wrote: »
    A question about silver foil products put behind radiators.

As you are probably aware there are manufacturers making outrageous claims on the savings these products can give e.g. 20%.

I have rung EST twice(last time 15 Nov 2010) to be told that EST have not tested these panels and have no information on these products.

I have since found that in your business section you do have information:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Housing-professionals/Interactive-tools/Hard-to-treat-homes/Matrix/Reflective-radiator-panels

It states:

I have scoured the internet and can find no tests at all that demonstrate any savings.

Can you please give the reference of any tests carries out, or give a technical explanation how you have reached your conclusions please?

Radiator reflector panels do generate a small saving. In a typical 3 bedroom semi detached gas heated home they can save around £6 and 30kg CO2 a year if professionally installed, whereas DIY installation would save around £3.50 and 18kg CO2 a year. Individually radiator panel reflectors save on average around £1 and 6kg CO2 per radiator as a DIY installation.

We calculate these savings by collating a number of sources. We use the CERT Technical Guidance to derive the average radiator panel saving from the two different installation types; we then apply average number of radiators for each house type which is sourced from the Building Research Establishment’s ‘Standard Dwellings for Energy Modelling’ (not publically available). We then applied our own calculated average prices sourced from Ofgem data (not publically available) and DEFRA’s GHG Conversion Factors to get financial and CO2 savings.

Hope this helps!
  • Does anyone know of a low cost way of remotely switching on/off a central heating boiler via a mobile phone?

Like many people, I'm often away from home and the central heating is operated by a simple twice on, twice off each day timer. It means that I'm often heating an empty house.

I reckon if the government made all boiler controls have this facility, we would save more than all that fibre glass going into our lofts! Even if on average every household in the country switched off one day in 7, this would massively reduce our CO2 footprint and bills for very low cost.
  • Radiator reflector panels do generate a small saving. In a typical 3 bedroom semi detached gas heated home they can save around £6 and 30kg CO2 a year if professionally installed, whereas DIY installation would save around £3.50 and 18kg CO2 a year. Individually radiator panel reflectors save on average around £1 and 6kg CO2 per radiator as a DIY installation.

We calculate these savings by collating a number of sources. We use the CERT Technical Guidance to derive the average radiator panel saving from the two different installation types; we then apply average number of radiators for each house type which is sourced from the Building Research Establishment’s ‘Standard Dwellings for Energy Modelling’ (not publically available). We then applied our own calculated average prices sourced from Ofgem data (not publically available) and DEFRA’s GHG Conversion Factors to get financial and CO2 savings.

Hope this helps!

I'm thinking of putting in some of these, but have a couple of questions:

There is a big difference in the saving between a DIY and professional installation, why is this?

My house has cavity wall insulation and is also dry lined, I assume this means the likely savings for me are even lower?
  • Do you have any advice about insulating solid walled houses?

I have a 3-bed semi built 1935 which has solid (9") walls.

Thanks
    Have you got any questions about energy saving products and how they can stop you wasting energy?

Well, you've come to the right place, our product experts from the Energy Saving Trust are here to answer any questions you may have. Simply post your question below.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Radiator reflector panels do generate a small saving. In a typical 3 bedroom semi detached gas heated home they can save around £6 and 30kg CO2 a year if professionally installed, whereas DIY installation would save around £3.50 and 18kg CO2 a year. Individually radiator panel reflectors save on average around £1 and 6kg CO2 per radiator as a DIY installation.

Hope this helps!

However from the CERT report you appear to have missed this most important caveat:

1.78. A reduction in carbon emissions can only be awarded for the installation of radiator panels when they are fitted to external walls. Furthermore, research by the BRE indicates that an improvement in energy efficiency from an installation of radiator panels is minimal if the radiator is fitted on a wall with a filled cavity. Therefore, radiator panels should be installed on either solid walls or walls with unfilled cavities.

You have used the figures for CO2 reduction they quote and converted them to savings of £1 to £6 a year. However those savings only apply to houses with either solid walls or walls with unfilled cavities.

Given that the majority of house? in UK have cavity insulation, even those very low savings do not apply - in fact they are a waste of money(at any price) in a house with cavity insulation.

Your report does not make that clear.

Would you agree?
  • Cardew wrote: »

Given that the majority of house? in UK have cavity insulation, even those very low savings do not apply - in fact they are a waste of money(at any price) in a house with cavity insulation.

Thanks Cardew, I guess that answers my earlier question.

How about those devices that are supposed to increase the efficiency of the radiators? From what I can see they are some small fans that move extra air over the radiators, increasing the heat transfer. In theory I think they should work, but would love to know if any research has been carried out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure