Grants for new boiler

Comments

• Well done, downshifter!

Your post gives an illustration of the variations that can be expected when dealing with this scheme, the differences between the individual installing firms, their surveyors, the timescale etc etc.

Here's what I wrote in the other thread (would it be a good idea to have these threads merged, MSE?)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=185956&page=6

We were told by the surveyors that our system upgrade, new boiler etc, would definitely be done before Christmas, however when speaking to someone on the WarmFront helpline that seems impossibly optimistic. Your timescale - applying in December and having the work done in November, that's 11 months. So anyone who's eligible and is having difficulty with their heating and hoping for an improvement before this winter really starts to bite - forget it, you may get it by spring or even next summer.

Many times I have almost said 's*d it, we could have had the whole thing done and finished by now by contacting a local installer' but the thought of saving £2,700 is just too attractive. I even thought of having the hall re-carpeted in time for family coming down for our 5th wedding anniversary on 14th January - this will be the last job that requires craftsmen coming in and out and it would be nice to have the house completely finished inside - but then, this is not the concern of most of the older people who're applying for this, it's all about keeping people warm and preventing them dying of cold this winter, not about me saving money for other purposes!!! I just feel sorry for anyone who is in a far worse state than we are. At least our heating is working, we're not cold, we're not like Lady_K and others!

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • My wife and i are just in the process of moving house and i am on benefits, we enquired about this grant because the house that we are moving to has a warm air heating system that is 40 years old! We were told that we cannot start the process and get onto the system untill we are living there.The boiler must be broken beyond repair and from start to finish the whole thing could take 6months. Needless to say wifey aint too pleased with the prospect of going all through the winter having to get dressed to go to bed!!! Anyone got any ideas? Mick.

• Hi. I had a new oil fired boiler in Feb 2006. I approached my Local Authority and got a grant of £500 towards the cost. Not much but not to be seezed at.Good Luck.
    Elvinpeel.
  • Hi
    I was told by a warmfront surveyor that if i changed my shower system cos it was run off the pump and not electric that i could have a combi boiler and it would be cheaper therefore i would not have to contribute anything to the grant. I have received a letter this morning saying i have to contribute £301. I telephoned them to tell them of my conversation with the surveyor and they said that i still had to contribute but it had now been reduced to £250???? Has anybody else come across this and does anyone know what else i can do to bring it down. I feel i was let down and misled by the surveyor.
  • I have just had a new boiler fitted with the warm front scheme, the grant is still £2700. In the past few years I had cavity wall installation supplied, which comes from the grant, my gas boiler then broke, I then re-applied for the boiler, which was granted. This was back in May 2006, it has taken from then until now to be fitted and working, so it is a long haul from start to finish. The only problem was the amount I had to contribute, which according to the accessors, the cavity wall and boiler came to the princely sum of £3900 approx. so my contribution was over £1000( you can get a loan from your council) so I am quite sure the contractors up the price of the supply and fit. I had got 2 estimates from other companies to fit and install a new boiler and the price quoted was just over £2000 so I still saved money, its just the length of time you are prepared to wait, I suppose I've been lucky to get it fitted and running before it gets really cold. The contractors were lovely and did a really good job and the boiler was fitted where I wanted it, nothing was too much trouble and the system is really good and I couldn't be more pleased. The only down side is the time it takes to get from A to B.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi all

See my last post in this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=185956&page=10

Best wishes

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • I have just moved into a maisonette, not on any benefits, although had two heart attacks, and had to go part time as work as security guard. Boiler needs replacing as over 15 years old, would like new combi boiler. Am I entitled to any grants please?
    Baza
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Norma, sorry to hear of your health problems. To be qualified for the grant below is a list of elligability

You may get a Warm Front grant if any of the following apply to you:
    1. You get one or more of the following benefits:
    • Working Tax Credit (with an income of less than £15,050 and which must include a disability element)
    • Child Tax Credit (with an income of less than £15,050)
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Income Support (that must include a disability premium)
    • Housing Benefit (that must include a disability premium)
    • Council Tax Benefit (that must include a disability premium)
    • War Disablement Pension (that must include a mobility supplement or a Constant Attendance Allowance)
    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (that must include Constant Attendance Allowance)
    2. You have a child under 16 or are pregnant and have a maternity certificate MAT B1 and get any of the following:
    • Income Support
    • Council Tax benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    3. You're aged 60 or over and get any of the following:
    • Pension Credit
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    4. You're not getting any benefits
    You may be entitled to a Warm Front grant even if you're not yet getting any qualifying benefits. A check will be done to see if you're eligible for benefits and so a Warm Front grant.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Bfsl1/BenefitsAndFinancialSupport/DG_10018661

or

http://www.eagagroup.com/grants/warmfront/qualify.htm

contact

http://www.eagagroup.com/grants/warmfront/
  • wigwam12
    wigwam12 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Slightly worrying this thread and tally's with the experience suffered by mu folks recently:

(sorry about the long post - rant!)

The workman from the company who came round was very friendly on his first visit; this week he came to check pipes etc etc.

By all accounts he was a right surly ***** today and rude to both my wife [who was round helping my parents] and my mum.
    I can live with the "I won't be moving anything when I come to do the work; make sure this ain't here, that is gone; get someone to remove this cabinet [where the combi boiler will go in the kitchen] at your own expense"

He then laughed at the idea of the grant money covering the work and said we'd [I say we in lieu of dad] would have to meet the short-fall and it would be significant.
    He also woldn't be taking out the old bakc-boiler or the gas fire that is its front-end. Or rather he could but it would be "private" job and he'd quote separately for it. Dad would thus be left with a non-functional gas fire in the living room and a "dead" boiler behind the chimney [to which there is access via a full-length wooden side panel].

Most worrying for me though was he insisted that my wife signed a waiver than if there was any problems with the piping etc following the install then he wasn't liable. He refused to go until this was done as it was an "integral" part of the job. The waiver [or rather a copy of it] - it refers to "old fashioned microbore" piping and how they recommend newer pipes and hence if there was problems after the fitting and a powerflush then they shouldn't be held to account if they block.
    I understand that newer sealed systems require higher pressures and wider pipes and I presume that was his angle but over it all stinks to me, particularly as all we are doing is getting a back boiler changed to a combi system.
    The waiver per se hasn't riled me, it is the fact that he thrust a piece of paper to my wife [actually 3: the other 2 were to agree he'd explained the work to them and a parts-needed list; quite how or why a customer should understand to agree to a parts list I have no idea] but the fact that he wouldn't answer her question on it, refused to leave it with her to read and sign (had to be done there and then and I can't leave until you do) and then got very angry when she asked him for a copy of it "why do you want one for?")

I also have alarm bells ringing when so much of things that were asked about were "not part of the grant money - but I can quote you separately for that"
    This included taking out the backboiler/fire [I wanted to treat my folks by buying a new flat-panel fire to install instead]; I understand some fitters refuse to remove it but some do take it out during the job. I can understand not wanting to remove the boiler but to quote separately to remove the fire is ludicrous.
    He also said he'd just cap-off the boiler/fire-front so infact we'd be be left with no functioning gas fire in the room - just a non-usable old fire attached to the wall!!

There was also the "when I come I ain't gonna move anything. You better pay someone else to remove that cabinet to make space for the combi, and if the rooms I need to work in aren't empty then I'll leave. This to 2 elderly disable folk!:mad:

I called the initially [very helpful] surveyor back and she flipped her lid and demanded that I make a complaint to head office [of WarmFront] with a view to someone else doing the work].

Will call on Monday but doesn't sound like WarmFront give too much of a care judging by experience here....:confused:
  • BlondBoy
    BlondBoy Posts: 186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    WigWam12

Having a similar situation, but how it's being handled is markedly different, I'm pleased to say.

It's all about how things are said, I think. The setup in my parents' place is similar. The installer's assessor made the same point about the piping, but the reason they're nervous is that the pipes under the floor may burst with the additional pressure, which can cause all manner of costly work for them to do. Now, what's unacceptable in my view is that you've been asked to sign a waiver. What happened here is that a condensing boiler and hot water tank have been suggested to avoid excess pressure on the pipes. Costs a little more, but avoids the potential stress of pipebursts and associated damage.

I'd strongly advise keeping on Warm Front/Eaga's back - they're very good and keen to help. Reckon your best bet is to see if they can allocate another installer. The one you've had is clearly not customer focused - but a lot of them are.

And by the way, the 'private job' thing, while sounding unattractive, is actually a good thing. There are specific things that are covered by the grant and things that aren't. They have to be transparent about it upfront. While it sounds harsh now, what it prevents is the possibility of your parents thinking everything is fine and then being told while the job is in progress 'oh, you need this too and it's going to cost xxx'. Any work above the grant must be approved and paid for before they start anything to stop that arising. Saves stress.

Best of luck

Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family