20% off of Michelin tyres at Costco

Comments

• ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I work in Michelin's Dundee plant,have done for 20 years, and can highly recommend the quality of the tyres- there are interlocks in every part of the process so nothing gets past that shouldn't, the process is very tightly monitored too.(without saying too much about it- it's still hush-hush ;) )
    Happily, we get free tyres when we need them,I've been driving in them all my driving life and would buy them even if I didn't work there.

The palm of your hand is the amount of tyre in contact with the road, and I have never understood people who would put cheap tyres on a car they spent thousands on.:confused:
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • paulie558
    paulie558 Posts: 763 Forumite
    You get what you pay for.
    I do roughly 20000 a year,the set on the Octavia I have at the moment have had 27000 miles on them.
    Still a bit of tread left,but I will investigate this Costco offer.
    ailuro2 wrote:
    I work in Michelin's Dundee plant,have done for 20 years, and can highly recommend the quality of the tyres- there are interlocks in every part of the process so nothing gets past that shouldn't, the process is very tightly monitored too.(without saying too much about it- it's still hush-hush ;) )
    Happily, we get free tyres when we need them,I've been driving in them all my driving life and would buy them even if I didn't work there.

The palm of your hand is the amount of tyre in contact with the road, and I have never understood people who would put cheap tyres on a car they spent thousands on.:confused:
  • talkshop
    talkshop Posts: 1,120
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Howdie wrote:
    (I changed mine from the back to the front so that they wear out more evenly). I think I get these so I'll have them to put on in a couple of months time.

The newest tyres should always be fitted to the rear wheels, and not the front!
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_cons_bib_pqr_neuf.jsp

Tyre life depends on the model of vehicle and how you drive more than what make of tyre you buy.
    I had a car that needed new front tyes every 8,000 miles, but my current car still has plenty of tread after 17,000 miles.
  • 2 things
    Last time my OH wanted a tyre they refused to sell her one and said they would only sell 2 - IE they claimed company policy was to change both on the same axle and not to sell a single tyre. I'll check it out tommorow as I need 1 - so will take it in as the spare.

secondly, be very careful about the care taken by the fitters. They damaged her car with the wheel brace and the passenger door and front wing needed re-spraying. They refused to accept responsibility but coughed up nevertheless.

This was at the Watford depot.
  • nwmark
    nwmark Posts: 20 Forumite
    talkshop wrote:
    Tyre life depends on the model of vehicle and how you drive more than what make of tyre you buy.

The main factor that effects tyre wear is the 'treadwear index' of the tyre the higher the number the harder the compound, so the longer it will last.

Of course other factors like, car weight, driving style, roads used, tyre pressure etc all have a bearing aswell but on the same car with the same person driving, driving the same roads a tyre with a high treadwear index will last longer.

Mark
  • Unfortunately Costco staff can tell lies.

I used to buy tyres from costco but when i changed to a diesel Focus i tried to buy tyres and they refused to sell them to me, saying i needed more expensive V speed rated tyres or my insurance would be invalid :rolleyes:

This is simply not true, the tyres i wanted to buy were H speed rated (130 mph) and they say i need V rated (149 mph)

A diesel Focus is limited to 115 mph :eek:

Obviously trying to get me to spend more money - so i now go elsewhere :D

It might be that they only fit tyres which meet manufactorers spec. On my golf diesel, it comes with V rated tyres as standard. But, the car can only do 125mph tops.

Ive just had 4 new tyres fitted, dunlops, identical to what the car came with when new. I shopped around and the cheapest was mytyres.com. They were less than half the price of kwik-fit. So, i bought 4 online, had them delivered and then got a local garage to fit them for £6 a wheel.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A quick update, after a phone call and visit today I had it confirmed that costco are running this promotion till sunday 26th, not 20th as the o.p stated.

All the best

The Bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • JonG_3
    JonG_3 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Took advantage of a similar offer from Costco about 18 months ago and was very happy with the service.

I had to buy 4 Michelins (for the offer), but did'nt actually need them for about 4 months.

Anyway, in the end I sold my car before I needed to fit them. I took all four (unused Michelins) back to Costco, with my original receipt, and they gave me my money back no problem.

The price you pay includes full fitting and balancing (at a future date if necessary) and my local Costco (Leeds) uses an excellent balancing machine with full dynamic balancing....well worth it if you have alloys.

So thanks OP...I will definitely be paying Costco a visit.
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    ailuro2 wrote:

Just out of curiousity do Michelin make their cheaper Komoran tyres at your plant ? I've had 6 of these over the last 4 yrs or so at costco - first 4 were made in Poland but last 2 UK manufacture - seem very hard wearing
  • albalad
    albalad Posts: 1,194
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    stamford wrote:
    Just out of curiousity do Michelin make their cheaper Komoran tyres at your plant ? I've had 6 of these over the last 4 yrs or so at costco - first 4 were made in Poland but last 2 UK manufacture - seem very hard wearing

I thought costco had stopped supplying kormoran tyres , as they were undercutting their core business "michelin"
    "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
    happy travels !!
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    albalad
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business