PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Zzippyman wrote: »
    We feel we have been fobbed off by a "cut and paste" argument that could be applied to any mortgage applicants claim from that time - we simply cannot prove that we sat across from the mortgage arranger and felt pressured into taking out PPI for fear of not receiving a mortgage amount.

Your wages will not have been enough to cover your mortgage if one of you died, so you did have a need, you weren't single, so you did have a need, you made a claim [instead of using your wages?] so you did have a need.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff wrote: »
    Your wages will not have been enough to cover your mortgage if one of you died, so you did have a need, you weren't single, so you did have a need, you made a claim [instead of using your wages?] so you did have a need.

Our wages, individually, were enough to cover the mortgage repayments. Also, had one of us died, the combination of life insurance and death in service payments would have more than covered them. As for making a claim even if it wasn't needed for that purpose, I can only ask - wouldn't you? We'd paid for it after all...
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Our wages, individually, were enough to cover the mortgage repayments. Also, had one of us died, the combination of life insurance and death in service payments would have more than covered them. As for making a claim even if it wasn't needed for that purpose, I can only ask - wouldn't you? We'd paid for it after all...

We have had PPI refunded from LLoyds for mortgage PPI and my OH has had PPI refunded from CC - we claimed on both when OH was made redundant which we made clear in our complaint but were still refunded all the premiums plus interest............the complaint after all is that the PPI ws sold to us unnecessarily. I agree with you Zippy
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • -taff

Your death in service was only as good as long as you had that job, and unless it was a job in the armed forces or a policeman, could have been terminated at any time.

Don't expect an uphold at the FOS and you won't be disappointed.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    wasawasa wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, no I do not ever get statements and have not for years, I am surprised myself that the bank have not got info from when we commenced the loan as it is still active and potentially could be used. My only thought was that as the FO will be able to see from the letters i sent them recived from HSBC we have been lied to and I was hoping they could tell the bank to calculate an estimated redress, as I know some people get lucky and get an offer without any investigation. Do you that this could be a possibilty?
    I don't know what FOS will do to be honest, if HSBC don't have any records of any PPI then they cannot calculate a possible redress, if they cannot find info then they have not "lied" only said you have no PPI as they cannot find it, If I were you, I would try the Sar for £10, it is a long shot but you may get lucky and they may find info.
  • It's is new to me so sorry if its in the wrong post or not following forum etiquette! I have tried twice to claim ppi on my mortgage taken out in 2000 with Halifax. First time letter back saying it wasn't ppi next letter saying they weren't upholding my complaint because of their internal sales notes, our knowledge of their sales process and documentation at the time, your policy booklet, your application form and your age and employment and medical status at the outset of the policy. I have been made redundant twice in this time and if I had known I had a policy I could have utilised this instead of my savings during these periods of unemployment totalling eight months in three years. Do I have anywhere to go now or do I have to accept this? Hopefully someone can help with my query. Many thanks in advance
  • -taff
    It would not have paid out for unemployment until your garden leave was up and you were signing on unemployed.

Your next and only step is to send it to the FOS but your chances there are very slim so don't get your hopes up.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's is new to me so sorry if its in the wrong post or not following forum etiquette! I have tried twice to claim ppi on my mortgage taken out in 2000 with Halifax. First time letter back saying it wasn't ppi next letter saying they weren't upholding my complaint because of their internal sales notes, our knowledge of their sales process and documentation at the time, your policy booklet, your application form and your age and employment and medical status at the outset of the policy. I have been made redundant twice in this time and if I had known I had a policy I could have utilised this instead of my savings during these periods of unemployment totalling eight months in three years. Do I have anywhere to go now or do I have to accept this? Hopefully someone can help with my query. Many thanks in advance

Send this to FOS, use the fact that had you known you had PPI during your 8 months of redundancy, you would have used this.
  • hi I phoned Lloyds on 7th june about loans I had is the past .I had 8 which was a shock 1week later got a letter saying that they had started my claim.7 weeks 1 day later got a letter saying they had upheld 2 loans +4 loans they had no record of the amount so each loan paid £1766.2 loans had no ppi they paid £824.29 and £569.75 don't know why so total paid to me was £12339.29which was 7 weeks 3 day after claim started 29th july so happy:rotfl::j:T:beer:
  • Zzippyman
    Zzippyman Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 August 2013 at 9:34AM
    -taff wrote: »
    Your death in service was only as good as long as you had that job, and unless it was a job in the armed forces or a policeman, could have been terminated at any time.

Don't expect an uphold at the FOS and you won't be disappointed.

Thank you for your comments Taff. I'm quite satisfied however that we had no need for PPI at the time and can only reiterate what I said in my first post as being our prime argument: that "we clearly remember the strongly implied message that we would not have been granted a mortgage had we not taken out a mortgage payment protection policy" - this being exactly the same argument that has seen us receive PPI payments totalling £4,355 from Santander and Halifax so far.

We do not expect the FOS to find in our favour and uphold our complaint, but we do want a fair hearing and - ideally - some acknowledgement from Nationwide that their practices (at least in 1992) were geared towards selling PPI as a condition of their mortgage lending - even if this was never recorded on their paperwork and wasn't required by the customer. Naturally I don't expect Nationwide to acknowledge this at all, but we know it took place, just as we're sure other mortgage applicants will remember as well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback