Can anyone recmomend a good low-energy portable heater/radiator

Comments

• cjdean wrote: »
    My main problem is that I live on a canal boat so saving space is quite important... Can you get minature LPG heaters?

If you are on a boat then there are specific safety issues with LPG. It is heavier than air and can sink into bilges etc.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • bestcara1 wrote: »
    Elke heaters are supposed to be VERY economical, their UK importer is at Bridlington, East Yorkshire

Elke heaters will no more or less economical than any other form of electric heater
  • cjdean wrote: »
    I just popped down to the local market and they have portable LPG heaters for £15 and gas canisters for £5 for 4. Has anyone any experience using these? How long will one can last?

If they're similar to these ones at Scotts of Stowe then it's a "1.5kW heat" output and "Works for up to 2 hours on single cartridge"

So that's 3kWh per cartridge or 12kWh for £5. That's 41p per kWh. Or 82p per kWh if you buy your cartridges from Scotts - and they describe their heater as "economical".

The first 900 units on EDF Eco 2020 Tariff are charged at 17.75p per kWh. And that has a reputation for being an expensive tariff.
  • Elke heaters will no more or less economical than any other form of electric heater

Well according to the company up at Bridlington they are MUCH more economical than standard electric heaters because of their special patented design.

These heaters are widely used in Austria & Germany were they suffer severe winters, the heater apparently heats up to the desired temperature and is then able to hold that temperature within the clay bed for hours on end without the need to switch back on, therefore saving energy.

Or am I wrong and you know something that I don't, if so I'd love to know as I'm currently considering buying a couple of these. Can you back up your statement with some facts as you sound fairly sure of yourself?:think:
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    bestcara1 wrote: »
    Well according to the company up at Bridlington they are MUCH more economical than standard electric heaters because of their special patented design.

These heaters are widely used in Austria & Germany were they suffer severe winters, the heater apparently heats up to the desired temperature and is then able to hold that temperature within the clay bed for hours on end without the need to switch back on, therefore saving energy.

Or am I wrong and you know something that I don't, if so I'd love to know as I'm currently considering buying a couple of these. Can you back up your statement with some facts as you sound fairly sure of yourself?:think:

This is marketing drivel and nothing more.

If you take 1KW/h of energy from an electrical outlet and feed it into a heater - where does that energy go? It's emitted as heat. How can you either gain or lose that electrical energy? Where do you suppose it goes? How do you suppose the "clay bed" creates extra heat?

It doesn't, simple. It's school boy physics. It doesn't need any more backing up than that. I'd challenge the heater manufacturer to back up their fantasy "free heat" claim though.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    bestcara1 wrote: »

As stated above. It is absolutely certain that these heaters are no more efficient than any other heater - be a £10 fan heater or Granny's old 1/2/3 bar electric fire.

If any heater uses 1 kWh costing xx pence, its heat output(technically in BTu) is exactly the same.

The only difference is the manner in which it delivers that heat. It can be virtually 'instant' like a fan heater, but then it has no residual heat.

or

Something like an oil filled radiator(or any other filling clay etc) In which case it does not produce much heat initially as the energy(electricity) is heating the oil/clay etc, but it retains the heat longer.

However the heat output is the same.

If you want the latter characteristic, then buy a £20 oil filled radiator from Argos.

There are countless firms peddling these radiators for huge amounts of money on misleading claims that they produce more heat, save energy etc and they don't!!

Actually when you read their literature, they are very careful to word it so they cannot be prosecuted.

I don't know what other proof you want, I am a Chartered Electrical Engineer if that means anything to you. However it really is no more than 'O' level physics to understand you don't get owt for nowt.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There is no point in using small cannisters to heat a whole room.
    You would be changing them continuously.

These look quite nice:

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/acatalog/hotspot-heater.html

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/acatalog/provence-living-flame.html

I have one of these for back up:

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/acatalog/info_delongblue.html

Makro was selling them for about £70.

They all use 7kg and 15kg Calorgas butane.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Let me introduce you to my new personal heating product, that is so efficient, it's almost cost free.

Intensive R&D in our labs in have resulted in our revolutionary product. Traditional forms of heating heats the house, which doesn't feel cold, when it's the people who need to be heated. What with hamburgers and greasy chips, we all carry an excess of body fat, which is a natural resource we can all tap into.

We have found that a chemical compound can target fat cells in the body, and convert them into little fuel cells. All you have to do is take a pill, and the chemicals will collect in your body's fat cells.
    You install a radiant antenna in each room in your house. The antennae radiate an electromagnetic waveform specifically designed to trigger the fat cells that have been primed by the chemicals.

As the fat cells release their chemical energy in the form of heat, carbon dioxide and water are produced, which are conducted by your blood stream to be disposed of by your lungs and bladders in the usual manner.

The process is totally safe, and claims of spontaneous human combustion are just rumours spread by our competitors jealous of our achievements.

Instead of paying for electricity and gas, all you have to do is eat more chips to keep warm.:D
  • Pincher, that sounds brilliant!

Do you know if I can get one through Quidco!

Also technically speaking if the fuel consisted of baked beans would the system be convertible to warm air heating?
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    frankie wrote: »
    Pincher, that sounds brilliant!

Do you know if I can get one through Quidco!

Also technically speaking if the fuel consisted of baked beans would the system be convertible to warm air heating?

Beanz meanz gaz. Unable to metabolise bio-methane, so it escapes through both ends of the alimentary canal. It is therefore particularly dangerous for smokers lighting up. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure