What's the best white gloss paint in the world?

Calling all DIYers and professional painters!

Can anyone recommend a really good white gloss paint for woodwork? Over the years I've tried different paints but alot of them have peeled, flaked, chipped easily or even sort of smudged where the paint hasn't properly dried after weeks of being on!?

I need to do my staircase and skirting boards in my new house and want to use something that won't mean I have to do it again too soon (hopefully never).

Please tell me what's your No1 white gloss paint?

Cheers guys:beer:

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Satinwood, not gloss.

Doesn't yellow as quick.

Satinwood once.
  • red_bertie
    red_bertie Posts: 455 Forumite
    Yes I'd give satinwood my vote - it's a lot easier to apply than gloss, be it non-drip or drip type! Never is a long time - what an optimist :p .

RB
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Satinwood is indeed a very good product. But with every respect, the key is in the preperation and application.
    Running a team of painters within the NHS, we used several different brands of paint (though we settled on Crown). All the main brands lasted better then cheap ones. But they all took one hell of a hammering.

The key really is doing it by the book. That means rubbing it right down, priming, 2 x undercoat and one times gloss. Putting it on so that it flows nicely without being too thick nor so thin you can see thru it.
    I can Guarentee to anybody and I mean anybody that done correctly, good brands applied in the right way will last for years and years. I will bet, any painter who reads this thread will agree with me on this point.

Do bear in mind though, that any paint applied on very sharp edges will always eventually chip if hit regularly enough.

Woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I love Dulux quick drying gloss/satinwood, it does not smell, it dries extremely quickly and does not yellow at all.
  • I remember a ex painter and decorated who swore by permaglaze paint.
    Having said that, it was a good few years ago.
  • MelMcM
    MelMcM Posts: 78 Forumite
    Wickes Master One Coat... BUT... I found it gives an ultra amazing finish if you undercoat and then use it. Amazing shine and whiteness. Good price too.

I'm renovating at the mo and have turned all old dark wood to white using this.
  • Sloganjerry
    Sloganjerry Posts: 305 Forumite
    Thanks Guys.

A few good suggestions there.................I've also been told that Johnstones ultra gloss is the best gloss on the market. Anyone tried this?

Maybe I'll try different glosses all over the house and see which parts stay nicest for longest (ha,ha).

Anymore takers for the title of World's best white gloss paint?
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    preperation preperation preperation

that and apllication...

if possiblealways try to do so in a warm dry enviroment and if possible do so on a horizontal surface ( ie take door of hinges and lay down in seperate room on tressles apply using VERY good brush with natural bristles always in ONE direction only ie left to right NOT BACK AND FORTH AS SOME PEOPLE BELIVE ONE DIRECTION MEANS.

IT IS BETTER TO DO MORE THINER COATS THAN ONE THICK COAT
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Woody is right. The key is effective preparation. The reason the paint has flaked is that it is poorly 'keyed' ie lack of good undercoat. Remember to use knotting on knots as this will stop the sap seeping through. For speed, acrylic undercoat is fine but for long term results you need a good quality oil based undercoat. And as woody says: 1 primer, 2 undercoat and 1 gloss or top coat. After many years of applying paint, you may need to 'burn off' the paint and undercoat and get back to bare wood and start again. Sand it well and fill and dents etc with a good quality filler. Satinwood is a nice product and gives a nice finish. It is especially good if paint etc is chipped and you don't want to fill as it doesn't reflect the light like gloss so won't show the imperfections. If you use matt emulsion on the walls and ceiling, it helps make the room look bigger as the light isn't bounced around it. We always use Johnstones gloss / undercoat etc and have good results. Good brushes are key also - don't overload them.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    I use a lot of Johnstones and really like it, but I do find the liquid gloss quite runny. According to two local distributors Jonstones has out-performed Dulux in several trade tests over the recent years. Certainly I have no complaints in it's coverage/opacity.

Phils back. Been Yomping again mate?

Woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills