Recurring charges on mobile bill - app subscription??

2»

Comments

• Julieb wrote: »
    Hi all,

I discovered last week that this had happened to me, my phone bill was a bit higher than normal but thought it was due to me going over my internet bundle. When I checked my bill, I found a weekly charge of £1.667 on a Tuesday & £1.25 on a Monday. I phoned Orange & got through to their call centre in India, the language barrier was frustrating but she was reasonably helpful. After speaking to her manager, she gave me the email address & phone no of Buongiorno and said that it was a subscription that I had agreed to for Mobi Village - ifortune, which I definately hadn't. There was a thought in the back of my mind that my son may have accepted a pop up whilst playing on my phone but there was no trace of this company or app on my phone.
    I emailed the address and complained, my email is below. Amazingly, I have received an email from them confirming that £47 would be refunded by Paypal, when I logged in, it was there in my Paypal account.

I added together the charges from recent bills which was £38, but perhaps the charges had been deducted for longer than I had thought?

"I found out today that my orange mobile account (***********) has been charged for a weekly subscription to your company for a service that I have never signed up for or authorised, I have never heard of your website and have never agreed to your services. I have already spoken to your customer service team and sent a text to stop this immediately and am now emailing for an immediate refund of all charges applied to date.

I also plan to take this complaint further and would like to know the name of UK Government regulatory agency which governs your conduct, I will also contact Trading Standards as there are many complaints from other Orange users. Please supply this information and confirm a refund without delay.
    Many thanks"

Good luck all

I too was a victim of a similar scam. I have done extensive research on the scam, and incidentally all the UK victims appear to be Orange customers. The purported subscription is always to ifortune. This is not a coincidence, as the phishing scheme uses a method called 'cramming' which uses a loophole in the law to take money from pay monthly customers as a recurring third party charge. Apparently some of the money is paid to Orange as a commission (approx 30%). So Orange is complicit in this scam. When I initially asked Orange they started with a denial as usual and blamed it on me. In one instance a call centre person hung up on me. However after weeks of haggling Orange, they manged to 'cancel' my subscription to ifortune and promised to refund a part of the subscription to ifortune (£10). Cramming is illegal in the USA and class cation lawsuits have been successful in the USA. There is no direct redress available in the UK as Orange is colluding with third parties to allow them to exploit legal loopholes in the UK telecommunication law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure