We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Home-made wood preservative

emiff6
emiff6 Posts: 794
First Post
Forumite
I came across this recipe for garden friendly home-made wood preservative today. It seems easy to make and I think it would work quite well to protect untreated wood especially things like fence posts.

Melt 30g paraffin (presumably it means wax), gently in a double boiler or a bowl over hot water.
Remove from the heat and stir into 3.3 litres of turpentine.
Into this mix stir 120ml linseed oil until well blended.
Paint onto wood as required.
If I'm over the hill, where was the top?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you priced this up? How does it compare to commercial wood preservatives?

Turps is not cheap, nor is linseed oil

You could use the free & old fashioned remedy of used engine oil, cue environmental backlash
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    emiff6 wrote: »
    I came across this recipe for garden friendly home-made wood preservative today. It seems easy to make and I think it would work quite well to protect untreated wood especially things like fence posts.

Melt 30g paraffin (presumably it means wax), gently in a double boiler or a bowl over hot water.
    Remove from the heat and stir into 3.3 litres of turpentine.
    Into this mix stir 120ml linseed oil until well blended.
    Paint onto wood as required.
    Presumably it's a linseed oil based preservative, with the turps and paraffin to help it dry.
    I would probably hesitate to use the turps myself, but maybe a turps substitute would do the same job.

It seems a similar thing to what is called "boiled linseed oil", which is LO with solvents and stuff added to aid drying and prevent stickiness IIRC.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure