PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can I freeze fresh leeks?

i bought some leeks, which i have used in soups etc.... but i have one left, so rather than waste it.....i was going to freeze it....

so the questions are... can you freeze them ?

do you need to blanch them ?

or just cut it up and freeze..

i know its only one leek, but i really got to get back into the habbit of not throwing things out again..

thanks.....
Work to live= not live to work

Comments

• hmmm - if you want to freeze it I would blanch it first. Chop, wash and throw in some boiling water for 30 seconds would do it - this is just a guess though!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I use them instead of onion in risotto or in an omelet. ;)

sorry don't know about freezing them.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • I would chop it and fry it first, then it's ready to start something off when it's defrosted - anything you use onion in, you can substitue leek very nicely.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i just cut up,wash if they are a bit earthy,then freeze-i never blanch anything as they say life is too short to ...................................

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • mcbiddy
    mcbiddy Posts: 70 Forumite
    i reckon leaks keep better when frozen before cooking: the structure holds better that way and they don't get water-logged before freezing (which would break them down even further as the ice crystals form). plus you don't have to decide what you're going to do with them weeks in advance....
  • Bambam
    Bambam Posts: 359 Forumite
    We grow our own leeks and if we have some still in the ground but need harvesting we collect them in, chop them up and blanche for about 1 minute in boiling, salted water. Freeze in portionable sizes.

When defrosted, gently fry until golden and stir through some buttery mashed potato.

Also delicious stirred through a cheese sauce and poured over cooked cauliflower and broccoli and gently browned in the oven. Mmmmmm
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
  • Hi

Need to clear my veggie patch but I have a glut of leeks leftover. Question is...

Can I freeze fresh leeks? if so how.

Otherwise Im going to be making pints and pints of leek and Pot soup.

Thanks
    kissmekate
  • Hi, I had a similar problem (?) last year. I washed the leeks, split them in 2 lengthways, and sliced. Put in a freezer bag and froze them. They lasted just great!

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Firehorse
    Firehorse Posts: 127
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Must confess I often freeze these too. Usually, I slice and open freeze, then pop into a bag and use as required.

I think technically most veg is supposed to be blanched (quick dip in boiling water), but confess to never doing this and everything seems to be fine so far.
    New Mantra: I must not visit MSE until after I've completed all my chores!!!!!
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    I top and tail them, slice into 1.5cm chunks, blanch, cool, and freeze them on a tray not touching, then put in bag. keep green and white ends in seperate bags, and use green end for soups and stews. I also have a dehydrated stash in a big kilner, took 2 days to dry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure