PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

advantages and disadvantages of grade II listed properties

Comments

• Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    The proportions are not good in many of the rooms and the ceilings are very sloping! It would be difficult to get furniture in and as much as a room with just a bed and side tables looks good on camera in these makeover programmes, the reality is that we need storage space for our smalls and a decent wall to put things against! Good bathroom. :cool:

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Have you been to see it yet? Bed two mentions a central structure which divides the room which may be awkward.

If you get a carpenter in, they'll find it very easy to build storage/wardrobes into rooms with eaves.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    My parents owned a Grade II listed building (the oldest part of the house was built in 1490-odd) for many years.

You do need to get planning permission for structural changes, even including replacing windows, for example. The upside is that you live in a lovely place!

My parents now own a Grade II* listed house, built in the early 14th century, and the regulations are even tighter. The barns, stables etc are all listed as well. It doesn't mean you can't change anything - the house has been completely re-done over the past 4 years, including the instillation of mains water, electricity, sewage, etc! But there is a bit more hassle involved.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This might sound "picky" but it's meant to be helpful ....

On the subject of planning permission, you will need listed building consent as well as PP for some work. For other work, you might not need PP but will still need listed building consent. The two consents are separate so if you need both, you must apply for both and get both. In our district, you'll get two separate bits of paper too!
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    jenner wrote: »
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-20249126.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

im not sure its really what im looking for, i quite like flats and im looking to over look the sea, but i love old things and this is very cute

Good morning: I thought it might be that one...are you familiar with the area?

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    yes, i want anywhere to the east of norfolk road ideally and on the sea side of northdown road. theres a couple of nice ones at the end of leicester avenue right by the green at palm bay, however, they havent got gas. i sent an email to scotia power (as requested when i rang up) to ask where the mains gas was in some of the roads round there and havent got a reply, cant be doing with electric heating or electric ovens
  • whatamess_2
    whatamess_2 Posts: 2,956 Forumite
    I do know that Thanet District Council can be really picky. A friend lived in a listed building and they were really funny about the plaster finish etc..

Looking at the birds eye view it looks like an old annexe to the main house. It is not very big though.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The satellite dish on the front wall suggests that they mightn't be all that picky!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • whatamess_2
    whatamess_2 Posts: 2,956 Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    The satellite dish on the front wall suggests that they mightn't be all that picky!
    Examples of work which may need consent include changing windows and doors, painting over brickwork or removing external surfaces, putting in dormer windows or rooflights, putting up aerials, satellite dishes and burglar alarms, changing roofing materials, moving or removing internal walls, making new doorways, and removing or altering fireplaces, panelling or staircases.

Taken from English Heritage website.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.1378

It probably goes back to what you said earlier about visits from the conservation officer. They haven't had a visit so its been left up.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »

Good morning: You're right! Pugin's Grange was almost converted into flats:eek: seems to be a bit and miss down here.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure