2 FOR 1 London days out loophole

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I live in London and have used lots of these voucher (really handy with the kids!) and I have found that both day and period travelcards are accepted as proof of having travelled by train. Also as many pointed here, not many people bother asking you for proof of train travel (but it's better to have it just in case).

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • The London 2-for-1 Offer has now finished.

However, there is a similar promotion for National Trust Sites (2-for-1) when you travel by train.

Travel by train and take advantage of 2 for 1 entry into selected National Trust and National Trust for Scotland properties.

Properties excluded from this promotion include 59 Rodney Street, Antony Woodland Garden, Ascott House, Avebury Manor Garden, Bodnant Garden, Buscot Park, Clumber Park, Coughton Court, Eastbury Manor House, Forthlin Road, Gawthorpe Hall, Gondola, Greenway, Gunby Hall, Hardy’s Cottage, The Homewood, Lawrence House, Mendips, Mr Straw’s House, Oakhurst Cottage, Orford Ness, Owletts, Red House, Shugborough, St Michael’s Mount, Tatton Park, Somerset Treasures House and Priest’s House, Tyntesfield, Waddesdon Manor, Wakehurst Place Garden, Westwood Manor, West Green House Garden, all properties managed by English Heritage and local authorities

For more information about National Trust houses and gardens visit https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk.

For more information about National Trust for Scotland houses and gardens visit https://www.nts.org.uk.

1.Voucher is valid ONLY on production of a valid rail ticket.
    2.Voucher is valid ONLY on completion of details.
    3.The voucher must be surrendered upon admission and is non transferable against the cost of membership.
    4.Photocopies of the voucher will not be accepted.
    5.There is no cash alternative.
    6.The voucher cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
    7.Valid at participating properties only during the published opening times (see list of excluded properties).
    8.The person using the free admission voucher must be accompanied on the day of use by a visitor paying the full adult admission charge or by a National Trust or National Trust for Scotland member.
    9.Not valid at National Trust or National Trust for Scotland events where a separate charge is made.
    10.Offer valid from 3 May 2005 until 30 June 2005.
    11.Not valid on Bank Holidays or Bank Holiday weekends (not valid 28 May to 30 May 2005 inclusive).

National Trust 2-for-1
    sorry no links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
  • TishoG
    TishoG Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It says on their websait:
    We've got loads of irresistible money saving offers to London's Top Attractions when you travel by train starting on 1st October, 2005!

http://www.london2for1.com/
  • ... so I guess the 2-for-1 offer will be starting up again on Ocotber 1st
    sorry no links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
  • Not sure if this has already been mentioned anywhere else, so sorry if it has, but just thought i'd point out that there is a new offer for discounted tickets to top London attractions with your bus or tube ticket. These offers are available now, you don't have to wait until october!!

There is a leaflet out called "Everyone's London", you can get this from any tube station. This will give you more details. Or visit:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk

The offers listed include restaurants, shows, museums, galleries, exhibitions and top attractions. The discounts are really good!!!

I'd recommend having a look for yourselves...

:dance:

P.s. It's always worth having a look in the leaflet rack of your local tube station. There are regular offers for top events, as well as good advice if you plan on going to these events...
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    First question why is this a loophole?

Secondly, if you don't have a train ticket, you can always check out Visit London, for special offers. http://uk.visitlondon.com/offers/
  • buzwad
    buzwad Posts: 12 Forumite
    Hi All,

this 2-for-1 deal is a great idea, but don't trust what it says on the london.gov.uk website! My fiancée and I took a day off work to take advantage of this and when we showed our travelcards at the London Eye, we were told that the 2-for-1 deal was only for Oyster card holders.

Even though I showed them a print out from Ken Livingstone's website (which states that any bus or train ticket will do), they did not budge saying that it was an Oyster deal ONLY! :mad:

I've emailed Ken to change his website but the BA staff at the Eye told us we weren't the first people to turn up only to be disappointed by the misinformation.

I think the TfL site does specify the fact that an Oyster card is required. What I find ironic is that my fiancée has an Oyster card, but since we don't start our journey at a tube stop (we're in zone 6), she couldn't have bought a travelcard on it even if she wanted to!

It's a good deal, but just beware of the conflicting info!
    Buzwad
  • When I checked out the link for 2 for 1 in london, the banner headline had a group travel part I clicked on for more info. Basically, as far as I can see, you can have 4 people travelling for the price of 2 PLUS kids at £1 each and you don't need a railcard to do it! Think it would be worth checking for a particular journey though, but the savings would be more than with a railcard which gives 1/3 off and costs £20 to buy! (Although mine was a family Circle promo!)
  • buzwad
    buzwad Posts: 12 Forumite
    Hi again,

just thought I'd post the *offending* webpage:
    http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/culture/everyones-london/offers.jsp
    DO NOT believe what it says on the linked page - check TfL or the websites of the attractions you want to visit to check the T&C's

Buzwad
  • Saffie_2
    Saffie_2 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Check out "Everyone's London" via this link

https://www.tfl.gov.uk

If you click on "The London Eye" it does say that the offer is exclusive to oyster card holders. Check out the "Everyone's London" leaflet in tube stations, it states there also that the Eye offer is exclusive to oyster card holders. The details of this offer have always been as such, however this is the only offer that is exclusive to oysters card holders.

I think that's due to the fact that our dear Ken wants everyone to get an oyster card!!

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport