what business could i start with £3000/£5000 pound

hi im starting to save up so i can start a business and was wondering what small business i could start with around 3000 to 5000 pound that will pay 10,000+ a year minimun

Comments

• oneeye1
    oneeye1 Posts: 231 Forumite
    window cleaning
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    i live in london and my window cleaner comes every 5 weeks or so. he does most of this estate where there are 36 flats. lets say he only does 20 of the flats to play safe. he charges 8 quid a go, thats 160 quid for those flats, but theres about 4 of them in the group. however, it seems to take him about half a day on this estate, but i also see him on the other side of the road in that time too. lets say that he manages to find enough work for 5 days a week, on the basis of 320 a day,, thats about 2100 a week. lets say that he only takes a quarter of the income, say about 500 quid gross per week. then he has to take off NI, tax, petrol, materials, sickness, holiday, non payers, cashflow, lets play safe again and say that this costs him about half of his income, so he takes home an average of 250 per week, about 12k a year

BUT thats on the basis of finding people who dont already have a window cleaner
  • GucciMane
    GucciMane Posts: 348 Forumite
    lemonade stand
  • naijapower
    naijapower Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    You could consider trading on ebay. simple buying and selling the right items
  • JonnyBravo
    JonnyBravo Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    jenner wrote: »
    i live in london and my window cleaner comes every 5 weeks or so. he does most of this estate where there are 36 flats. lets say he only does 20 of the flats to play safe. he charges 8 quid a go, thats 160 quid for those flats, but theres about 4 of them in the group. however, it seems to take him about half a day on this estate, but i also see him on the other side of the road in that time too. lets say that he manages to find enough work for 5 days a week, on the basis of 320 a day,, thats about 2100 a week. lets say that he only takes a quarter of the income, say about 500 quid gross per week. then he has to take off NI, tax, petrol, materials, sickness, holiday, non payers, cashflow, lets play safe again and say that this costs him about half of his income, so he takes home an average of 250 per week, about 12k a year

BUT thats on the basis of finding people who dont already have a window cleaner

Let's say he's not paying tax and claiming dole at the same time. Perhaps he's on incapacity. Probably been in thru a few open windows too.

Bet he's on more than £12k now.

:D

(The above is merely conjecture and weak humour.... I'm sure there are a few window cleaners who pay all the tax they should etc)
  • GucciMane
    GucciMane Posts: 348 Forumite
    what about toilet cleaner? or dustbin cleaner?
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    oven cleaner?
  • My window cleaner comes round once every eight weeks.
    Charges £20
    Takes about an hour.
    He also cleans gutters for £40 if required once a year.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    dave0000 wrote: »
    hi im starting to save up so i can start a business and was wondering what small business i could start with around 3000 to 5000 pound that will pay 10,000+ a year minimun

Lots of cheap commercial vehicles about - you could start a rubbish collection, house clearance, man with a van and delivery service. They sell of a lot of the metal items on as well as old washing machines and fridges.

This way you would also have a vehicle to use, so the expense of your own private car would immediately disappear.

Worst case scenario it does not work out and you sell the vehicle on.

If you get registered with your local authority for rubbish dumping - you can show the pass when you call at peoples houses and it shows you are not a 'cowboy'

Good luck!
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Drug dealer, I have heard it can be very profitable, if a bit risky.
    Or more boringly you can train to be a driving instructor for about £3000, trouble is loads are doing it and work may be a bit scarce in the short term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure