Worcester Condenser Boiler

Happy New Year to Everyone!

Does anyone know what Fault EA means on the boiler's display?

We've no heating or hot water.

Thanks

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    got this from-

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54114

the code is flame not detected
  • Thanks Jim,

Looks like it could be one of several things.
  • Hi,

Just to let people know that the problem was caused by a frozen flue pipe.

Might be an idea for others to check theirs.

Ours was a 22mm pipe so quite easy to freeze I suspect in the cold weather.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Harloshred wrote: »
    Hi,

Just to let people know that the problem was caused by a frozen flue pipe.

Might be an idea for others to check theirs.

Ours was a 22mm pipe so quite easy to freeze I suspect in the cold weather.

Good evening: Do you mean the condensate waste pipe had frozen? WB gives the following advice for prevention ...of course I'm assuming every RGI will follow manufacturer's specifications:rolleyes: (typical part of installation where corner cutting to keep quotation price down comes into play :mad:).

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Hi Canucklehead,

I do mean the condensate pipe.

We've had the pipe widened to hopefully prevent it happening again.

Thanks
  • Over the holiday period i had at least 8 jobs where the problem was frozen condensate pipework they where 22mm pipe and 32mm pipe so upsizing as we all thought has not worked on these properties, i also had a one that had been lagged too! Just pooor a kettle of boiling water over the pipe where you suspect the freeze to be and you should move it!! if not another kettle should do!
  • Here in N Wales wer have temps of -5 C and below and the number of boilers failing is enormous. The EA code is 'Flame not Detected' and means that the boiler will not fire. The reason is that the condensate trap cannot empty and this is caused by the pipe to the outside world being frozen.

The solution is to pour a couple of kettle fulls of hot water over the white (usually) plastic pipe untill the water thaws. Also check that there are no other bends in the system eg where it disappears into the drain.

However, a word of warning, :mad: beware of the H & S police who state you should not climb a ladder, have hot liquids in a kettle and both of these together.

On a serious note, BG have been inundated with calls and just cannot cope; so if you can cure it yourself that would be good.

All the best and a HNY
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Glad to hear you got it working okay without major hassle/expense .
  • BIG thank-you to canucklehead & yrwyddfa,

You've saved ( or should that be warmed?) my bacon!
    Thanks to your advice I've managed to defrost my iced up pipe - it was actually under the floor in the eaves of our chalet style house!

I used a hairdryer to warm up the space - suddenly a great gurgle from the pipes - and after switching the boiler on again and re-setting it worked! I can at last take off the Puffa jacket I've been wearing all evening!

We'd been lucky enough to get a Heating Engineer out - but he said he didn't know what the code meant; was very helpful though!

It's interesting to note that Worcester Bosch have a message on their phone line about this error now!

Thanks again
  • I think I might have this problem - my boiler has been making very loud gurgling noises today. Could this be a symptom of frozen condensate? Sounds like the manufacturer needs to do something about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure