HELP - Mouldy walls in bedroom.

I've just been cleaning up in my room and I've found this behind my chest of drawers.

My daughter keeps getting coughs and colds and I'm thinking that this may be a cause.

Can anyone give me some ideas:

1) What might have caused it? Could it be caused by condensation with me drying clothes over the heaters? It is a brick gabelwall at that side of the room and we have a similar (but not to this extent) problem in all rooms along that wall.

2) What can I do to get rid of the mould and prevent it coming back?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!

Comments

• Hi Nicki,
    We had a similar problem with mould. One day I was making the bed and pulled it back from the wall to find massive mould spores! It definitely caused me chest problems, I had several infections over a few months and had one when I discovered it. That night I slept in the spare room and my infection dramatically improved. We bleached the area clean and then painted some mould resistant paint on top. Also pulled back the bed two inches from the wall to let air circulate.
    We have since redecorated and had no problems at all.
    I would suggest that condensation caused the problem, just opening the window all night would have prevented this (something we cant do because our window opens too wide brrr). So if you are drying clothes, open the windows. We bought a dehumidifier and use it every night in the bedroom and it extracts two pints of water from the air!!!
    I would hope some other MSE can help as this may not be the cause of your mould, perhaps related to the wall itself but I just thought I'd share my experience.
    Mould spores really do cause health problems, since that 'incident' I've never had a problems with coughs or my chest again. Also in a flat we stayed in before we had mould around the window frames in the bedroom, my partner had a terrible cough (next to his side of bed!) which vanished when we moved.
    I hope this helps!
    Cat
    Are we still waiting to sing as hummingbirds?
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    There is little air movement behind the chest of drawers which does not help.

Long term solutions could be to paint the gable end with a water seal such as Thompsons. Also is there cavity insulation in the walls?
    Another thing is to paper the walls on the inside with a polysyrene type paper that helps keep the damp out.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • orainsear
    orainsear Posts: 323 Forumite
    Warm air holds more moisture than colder air. When warm air comes into contact with a cold surface - and that one wall may be colder than the other walls for a variety of reasons, it will condense, and form water. I used to live in Macclesfield in an old mill building and I had this problem. To sort it out you need to stop the air condensing on that wall. What sort of windows do you have fitted? Do you have double glazing? Are there any vents in that room? Also why is that single wall colder than the others? - Which directin does it face? Have you checked out the damp proof course on that wall for rising damp as this can also cause the wall to be colder and as a result cause more water to condense.
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    For getting rid of the mould spores, only bleach will do I'm afraid. i have to regularly bleach the wall in my bathroom to get rid of it.
    HTH
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As Orainswear said, It does sound like condensation. It will show behind cupboards and wardrobes where there's no air circulating.
    Basically' to reduce condensation 3 areas need addresssing;

1) improve heat
    2) improve ventilation
    3) improve insulation
    Is it ground floor?
  • cargo
    cargo Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All the things allready said are true, but it can be a real pain to get rid of you do need to get air around the room and if poss insulate the wall surface.In the past @ work the only thing to stop this as been to styroline the affected wall (styroliner board is a 8x4 sheet of plasterboard with a 22 mm or 16mm sheet of polystyrene stuck to it.This is stuck to the wall with adhesive and then skimmed.
    Course not a quick cure but if all else fails.
  • Mould prevention Has a list of things you can do to reduce the chance of it happening again.

Do check that it is condensation from the inside rather than water coming in from the outside. Blocked or leaking guttering can be a source of damp in one place. Poor pointing may be another source.

Improving your ventilation by using extractor fans or opening windows whenever the weather is suitable will help. Getting a dehumidifier and keeping that running when you are stuck with having to dry clothes indoors will also help.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Every winter I get black mould patches above the bay window and round the skirting board in the bay.

My Mum reckons it's just cos the bedroom isn't aired so much in winter??!!!

I had the guttering, soffits and fascias replaced as they were rotten so it can't be that. Do you think it could be a roof problem or something simple like my dear old Mum says?

PS Everywhere else in the house is fine.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Your Mum is probably right. It could well be condensation.

You need ventilation and/or a Dehumidifier.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Hiya
    My parents house gets exactly the same thing, only in winter and only in 2 of the upstairs bedrooms. They still have metal framed double glazing and keep all windows shut in the winter and theres very little ventilation and they get small black patches on the wooden window sills
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure