Argos return without receipt

Hi
does anyone know if I can return a faulty item to Argos without a receipt?

I bought a tv/dvd combi system for my daughter last year and when she went to use it last night her dvd player wouldnt work.

This item is around a year old, and the 12month warranty will either be almost just up/or over. But I dont have a receipt to prove when I bought it.

They are still selling the item in Argos, and I dont any kind of refund, just a replacement.

Anyone know where I stand before I return this?

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well, if it's been over 12 months you have no chance of a refund or replacement.

But even if it is under 12 months old, without a receipt it would be next to impossible to get Argos to do anything about it unless you have some other kind of proof of purchase, possibly a credit card statement or something.

You could try the manufacturers warranty, but unless you registered it at the time of purchase they will have nothing to do with it without a receipt, which of course you do not have.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • heskpesk
    heskpesk Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    Say you got it for xmas and already playing up. I have got exchange without receipt as the item was exclusive to Argos and therefore could not of purchased from elsewhere
  • thanks for that, have read the reviews on Argos about this item, and there have been a few returns already with a fault on reading dvd's so hopefully I will get an exchange no problem.
  • state item was a gift an the person who gave it is away in
    afghanistan
    on tour of duty so cannot get hold of
    receipt
    I'm
    damn sure
    Argos
    will sort this out

my post may not be
    politically
    correct but it will help the op
  • zenseeker wrote: »
    Well, if it's been over 12 months you have no chance of a refund or replacement.

But even if it is under 12 months old, without a receipt it would be next to impossible to get Argos to do anything about it unless you have some other kind of proof of purchase, possibly a credit card statement or something.

You could try the manufacturers warranty, but unless you registered it at the time of purchase they will have nothing to do with it without a receipt, which of course you do not have.

Sorry to disagree but the sale of goods act state an item is expected to last a reasonable time even if this is outwith the 12 month guarantee. a reasonable time is 3 years You can return it to the store stating the sale of goods act.
  • Maysie
    Maysie Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    is it possible you paid by card? I returned a faulty buggy for a refund by just showing an old bank statement. cash refunded :) I had bought other things at the time so the amount did not match but they accepted this as proof fine. If its over a year its not worth it though and go with other suggestions.
  • Depending on how much it was you can definitely get a replacement/refund even without a receipt regardless of warranties. One year for a TV to last is definitely not acceptable and the more expensive the TV was the longer it should be expected to last for. If you have a bank statement showing the purchase (can get these from your bank if you threw away the originals) this will suffice, but even without either you should still have a fair case, tho' it may be more difficult.
  • tbh i cant remember how I paid for the it! Wasnt an expensive one but regardless I wouldnt expect it to be broken already; it rarely gets used!

I will be taking it back tomorrow, without p.o.p and see what they say. THEN I will dig through old bank statements and see if I can find a card payment to Argos.

Rich in cov; I really couldnt go in and say that to them. BUT I could say it was a gift this christmas, paid by cash and have lost receipt
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 440 Forumite
    Do you still have the packaging it came in, i bought a tv and dvd player online for home delivery and the box had a sticker on with a bar code which said this is your proof of purchase.
  • liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

Returns and refunds

We're committed to selling high-quality products we hope you'll enjoy using but we also know that, for one reason or another, there may be a time when you need to exchange or return something you've bought. Please make sure that you check your items carefully before they are used or installed. We also recommend that you keep your receipt or order number, which can be found on your order confirmation or on the delivery packaging, as you might need it as proof of purchase in the event of any after-sales queries
    If I change my mind...

Within 30 days
    • Most things we sell are covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee, so just return them to us unused, in their original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition, with your receipt and we’ll give you a refund.
    • If you don't have your receipt, as long as you have a proof of purchase* we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers.
    • If you'd like to return something we've delivered, just call us on 0845 640 0800 and we'll collect it for free. Your order number will count as your receipt.
    • We're sorry but some items like earrings, foot spas and dental products can't be exchanged or refunded for hygiene and safety reasons, unless they're faulty.
    • To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.
    • If a product is excluded from our 30-day money-back guarantee, it is clearly marked by a † next to the product name in the catalogue and on this website.
    • Our 30-day money-back guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.
    If there's a fault with the product...

We've made it easier!
    • If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a
      replacement or a refund.
    • If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair the product or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.
    • Please note that all large kitchen appliances are excluded from our 30 day guarantee, but if your item develops a fault within 30 days, call us on 0845 640 0800 and one of our agents will assist you with your problem. If faulty and if it cannot be repaired we will arrange a replacement free of charge or you can opt for a refund.
    • This does not affect your statutory rights.
    * If you had your item delivered, your order number which can be found on your order acknowledgement or delivery packaging counts as your receipt/proof of purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure