Double Glazing - K Glass or Planitherm?

I'm looking at getting double glazing. Most of the quotes have specified Pilkington K glass but one guy recommends "Planitherm". He reckons the U value is better and there's less discolouration (K glass has a reputation for making nets look grubby due to a slight tinting effect). Personally I don't care re appearance I just want the best glass. Anyone know what's best? The DG guy says that Planitherm and K glass are the same price and he stresses how much better Planitherm is than K glass and that I'll regret getting K glass.
Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.

Comments

• planitherm does have a better u value and is made by st gobaine which is frances equivellent of pilkingtons .they also do a lot of glass for motor trade
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • McAzrael
    McAzrael Posts: 917
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I prefer Planitherm - better insulation, clear (K is blue) and cheaper. But I shouldn't obsess over it, the difference is slight.
  • littlesos
    littlesos Posts: 175 Forumite
    McAzrael wrote: »
    I prefer Planitherm - better insulation, clear (K is blue) and cheaper. But I shouldn't obsess over it, the difference is slight.

K-glass is clear too, are you thinking of Activ-Blue, which is as the name suggests blue. Activ blue is the self-cleaning, insulating glass you find in conservatory roofs, although pilkington now make a clear version now.
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    gundo wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting double glazing. Most of the quotes have specified Pilkington K glass but one guy recommends "Planitherm". He reckons the U value is better and there's less discolouration (K glass has a reputation for making nets look grubby due to a slight tinting effect). Personally I don't care re appearance I just want the best glass. Anyone know what's best? The DG guy says that Planitherm and K glass are the same price and he stresses how much better Planitherm is than K glass and that I'll regret getting K glass.

I am currently having trouble with the glass on a dining room window - see this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=741801

I am about to check with my window fitter if the glass I have IS Pilkington K but would advise you to try and find out as much as possible for both options you have before deciding.

My fitter never mentioned this beforehand, otherwise I may have checked this forum and elsewhere earlier.

HTH
  • k glass actually has a green tint to it .planitherm has a blue tint(very faint)
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • McAzrael
    McAzrael Posts: 917
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    littlesos wrote: »
    K-glass is clear too, are you thinking of Activ-Blue, which is as the name suggests blue. Activ blue is the self-cleaning, insulating glass you find in conservatory roofs, although pilkington now make a clear version now.

I can assure you that K glass is not clear.
  • simcla
    simcla Posts: 64 Forumite
    Planitherm is a "softcoat", Pilkington 'K' is a "hardcoat". Softcoated glass is better at reducing heat loss, and generally offers less visual distortion than hardcoated glass. Pilkington 'K' is a "brand" in the UK where as Saint Gobain Planitherm isn't, but I would go with the Planitherm and I work for a company that installs windows. Pilkingtons make a softcoat glass, ask how much that would be in relation to Planitherm! The suppliers are not trying to pull a fast one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure