PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I searched but couldn't find anything

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you Penelope Penguin that is really REALLY helpful.

All part of the service :D

I'll add this to the existing thread on searching, to assist others in future.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Fantastic!

This just has to be a sticky.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    stilernin wrote: »
    This just has to be a sticky.

It's in the Welcome to Old Style sticky :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    Just thought I would bump this thread as it is so helpful . The first page and few screenshots really helped me understand searching (in fact it's how I learnt):j

Thanks Squeaky! :A

:)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    zippychick wrote: »
    Just thought I would bump this thread as it is so helpful . The first page and few screenshots really helped me understand searching (in fact it's how I learnt):j

Thanks Squeaky! :A

:)

Brilliant thread:T

Can you help me?

If I search for a two word thing (like birthday cake) - it will pull up every thread with birthday & every thread with cake.

Is there anyway around this? Because sometimes you really need both words for it to be relevant.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MrsE wrote: »
    Brilliant thread:T

Can you help me?

If I search for a two word thing (like birthday cake) - it will pull up every thread with birthday & every thread with cake.

Is there anyway around this? Because sometimes you really need both words for it to be relevant.

To use the search facility it is best to click on ''search this forum'' (towards the top right of the main page of the board you are searching on) then click on ''advanced search'' and select ''titles only''. If you then type in the words birthday cake you only find threads containing both words in the title.

Pink
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    To use the search facility it is best to click on ''search this forum'' (towards the top right of the main page of the board you are searching on) then click on ''advanced search'' and select ''titles only''. If you then type in the words birthday cake you only find threads containing both words in the title.

Pink

So if you search by title only you search for ALL words in one post, but if you search by post content it picks out posts with one or more words.

I'm guessing it works the same way with the search across the whole of MSE? But you can get more relevance using a forum only search?

So its limitations this way are only the titles people use?

Hence the post above which mentions titles.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MrsE wrote: »
    So if you search by title only you search for ALL words in one post, but if you search by post content it picks out posts with one or more words.

I'm guessing it works the same way with the search across the whole of MSE? But you can get more relevance using a forum only search?

So its limitations this way are only the titles people use?

Hence the post above which mentions titles.

If you search by titles only, it will select only threads with all your search words in the title.

However, if you search ''entire threads'' for birthday cake it will throw up literally hundreds of threads containing the words birthday and/or cake.

The search does work the same way across MSE. The point of using ''search this forum'' as opposed to ''forum search'' is that it only searches the forum you are reading and therefore narrows down the results you get, making it more easy to find the relevant thread. If you use ''forum search'' it will search the entire MSE forums so you will have many more threads to plough through to find the one you want.

Pink
  • Not sure where to post this, as am new to the forum.

Is there a thread about books, reading, etc. I am a book fiend and it is nice to share books, reading ideas and ideas on obtaining books cheaply, etc.
    MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning:money:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 February 2011 at 1:41AM
    you'll find OS book recommendations etc here and I heartily recommend Martin Lewis' books and the Tightwad Gazette if you're looking for something on Frugal living ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family