Cleaning a limestone fire surround.

Options
I wanna know how to clean a limestone fireplace.The woman in the showroom said I couldn't use water on it and to just use a dry cloth but it has black lines on it off pulling out the front thing to turn it on and off and my ds has spilt something on it so I really need to use something other than a dry cloth.Thanks.
He who smiles rather than rages is always
the stronger

Comments

• Middlers
    Options
    We had a stone fireplace made a few years back and were advised to used a weak bleach solution to remove marks. Have been doing this for a while with no ill effects.
    Middlers
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    How about spraying a very small amount of water onto a microfibre cloth (Tesco selling a pack of 2 for 48p) and wiping with that, then use the dry one to buff it up?

I have the same problem with my marble fireplace icon9.gif
  • geordielass
    Options
    How about spraying a very small amount of water onto a microfibre cloth (Tesco selling a pack of 2 for 48p) and wiping with that, then use the dry one to buff it up?

I have the same problem with my marble fireplace icon9.gif

Hi fellow 'lass', have tried the microfibre cloth but the marks are still there.Get a bit worried when I put anything damp on it and it goes darker where the damp has hit it.Have just got it and at this rate it's going to look a right mess in no time.My previous one was marble and I just used anything on that and it was okay for donkeys years. I think limestone is more porous than marble but I'm not sure. Should've just got a radient fire that sticks on the wall....less hassle.icon7.gif
    the stronger
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I just Googled Limestone and this site seems about the most interesting.

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/gallery/print/0,22304,1032277,00.html

It seems that if you can get the marks off you would be best to then seal it to stop future marks icon7.gif
  • geordielass
    Options
    Thanks,have looked at the site. You must be able to use water on it then,same with your marble.Will try the washing up liquid.Don't know bout the sealer would be a bit apprehensive about trying it.How bout if you try it first and let me know what happens.lol. :j
    the stronger
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a limestone fireplace and I asked the place were I bought it what I should clean it with so he gave me a bottle of special cleaner..I'll look at the name and get back to you but it may be worth ringing your supplier to ask advice..
  • sallysaver
    Options
    I have recently had a Limestone fireplace installed and whilst it does not yet require cleaning (apart from a quick flick with the duster now and again) the Company from whom I purchased it reccommend Lifotin Wexa which, according to them is widely available from any tile depot. I do not have this product nor have I used it so I cannot say how good or bad it maybe but the advice is freely available on their website and I don't think they would make any reccommendations if they hadn't tried and tested it themselves. Good Luck - Regards Sallysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure