PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making Paper Bricks / Logs

Ok there's probably a thread in the dim and distant past on this but any ideas anyone???

Would love to recycle all that paper each week into something we could use...what better than bricks for the fire....but how to do it???

:confused:
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    These are good but it does require an investment of £20, it's cheaper than the green company one I found though.

http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&product=35709&catName=Hearthside
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • This comes from a South Pacific website

Making Charcoal From Old Newspaper
    Charcoal from Old Newspaper

Do not waste old newspaper! During "brown-out" or when you run out of cooking gas, you can make use of charcoal from old newspapers.

Procedure:

1. Soak old newspapers and magazines for about two hours in water.

2. When the water is thoroughly soaked and soft, tear chunks of paper enough to be pressed into two inches balls.

3. Press out the water. I guess you'd need to make a mould and use a G-clamp or something similar to press out the water

4. Dry the wet briquettes on the concrete floor during hot and sunny days. Leave to dry in a warm place, airing cupboard?

5. When thoroughly dried store in plastic bags so that the briquettes will not absorb moisture.

6. Use paper briquettes as substitute for wood charcoal.

I have a dim and distant memory of seeing this done on Blue Peter or How!
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When made they are good and burn for a long time BUT they take ages to dry! Make them as soon as you have the paper and store in as warm and dry a place as possible - greenhouse, airing cupboard, shed etc. They take about a week to dry properly at least - longer in a shed! :)
    Mink
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for that -- afterlooking at the design i'm hoping we can make something that will do the job without the £20 outlay...... Good excuse to clear the shed out too!!

Thanks again!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 184
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Some good instructions here (don't forget to click on the chap's Google ads to pay him back if you use the instructions!)

http://www.two3five.com/paperlog.htm
    http://www.two3five.com/paper2.htm
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • I have just purchased a crossline shreader could I make paper logs out of the paper. Can anyone give me any links to moulds.
    became debt free December 06
  • How about soaking the shredded paper, then squeezing handfuls really tightly into 'nuggets' and just letting them dry. That way you can dispense with any tools at all.

If you are good at improvising you could make a compressor using a car jack and a suitable mould (maybe a 1foot length of plastic gutter down pipe with small holes drilled in it to let the water out?)
  • You do need a lot of storage space, and a lot of drying time - if you have both then go for it. I gave up after a couple of months because of lack of both.
    Friends who have both have all ended up spending on the ready-made tool after struggling with home-made efforts.
  • Friends who have both have all ended up spending on the ready-made tool after struggling with home-made efforts.

I will try the home made efforts to begin with, but could you enquire where your friends purchased tools from and if they are any good, I think I could use this as a craft project to do with a conservation course I have been doing and maybe the tools will give a better result??

Thanks Andrea
    became debt free December 06
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    this brings back memories , when i was about 4 i can remember sitting in the garden one autunm saturday afternoon , and i found my dads paper brick maker and i sat for ages with soggy paper making a brick. i loved it.
    tbh i can't remember ever seeing them on the fire , but i guess they would of been used as my parents never wasted anything. i hope u enjoy making the paper bricks as much as i did many years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure