Npower or edf...

2»

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,329
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I have a relative who`s on Npower D/F sign on line something and she gets her £105 back after 12 months.

She gets bills every 6 months and on her second bill she gets a rebate of £105
  • luv_my_brass
    luv_my_brass Posts: 247
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hezza86 wrote: »
    Which of these 2 companies is the lesser of 2 evils.
    Im currently with scottish power and looking to move due to price hikes, iv been on comparison sites and cheapest is npower go-fix 6 tariff with edf fixed saver v2 following behind theres estimated £38 difference between the 2. however saving me over £150 a year compared to scottish power.
    i take it aswell that these prices that the comparison sites show includes the standing charge (something i dont fully understand)

iv always been either scottish power or british gas and this is the first time im switching. (needing to try save some cash in current climate)

and thought id seek the expertise of people on here.
    Ditto to all that!
    I'm on no standing charge with SP who keep on putting up my DD due entirely to their prices hikes - my consumption remains pretty much the same year in year out.
    moneysavingexpert.com are offering £80 cash back for a dual fuel change with npower. Capped NSC works out at a saving on my current annual bill of around £250 per annum capped until Sept 2012.
    All sounds too good to be true, which is why I am here asking for your thoughts.
    I have been with SP for a few years now have not had any problems with them so have never had occasion to use their helpline. I do not want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
    Your thoughts please?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • george1939
    george1939 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Ditto to all that!
    I'm on no standing charge with SP who keep on putting up my DD due entirely to their prices hikes - my consumption remains pretty much the same year in year out.
    moneysavingexpert.com are offering £80 cash back for a dual fuel change with npower. Capped NSC works out at a saving on my current annual bill of around £250 per annum capped until Sept 2012.
    All sounds too good to be true, which is why I am here asking for your thoughts.
    I have been with SP for a few years now have not had any problems with them so have never had occasion to use their helpline. I do not want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
    Your thoughts please?

Cash £80+ £105 =£185 cann't be bad my cash back was £34 with energylinx they have no cash back offer at present. All have spelt it out 'to you' 'for you' to see all cann't do anymore
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Npower and EDF were coming out the cheapest when I was looking at switching from E.On. Given the bad publicity Npower have recently had, I decided to try EDF. Early days yet, but no great problems so far. Must admit though, I'm not expecting EDF to match E.On's customer service in terms of quality, but you never know, I might be pleasantly surprised.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• norapower
    norapower Posts: 35 Forumite
    Npower are the worst of a bad bunch, if you are on monthly DD after being with them for a year the £105 is divided between your next 12 monthly payments. So in actual fact you have to be with them for 2 years to collect the full £105 discount.
  • luv_my_brass
    luv_my_brass Posts: 247
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can anyone tell me what exactly the problems have been with NPower?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • george1939
    george1939 Posts: 135 Forumite
    norapower wrote: »
    Npower are the worst of a bad bunch, if you are on monthly DD after being with them for a year the £105 is divided between your next 12 monthly payments. So in actual fact you have to be with them for 2 years to collect the full £105 discount.

Without the £105 which you do get. I was lucky in May I was just in time for Npower fix 5. A week later fix 6 would have meant an extra £85 per year so at that time May EDF would have been the best option with their fix Sept 2012. Even with npower fix 5. Fix 5 was still £29 per month dearer than ovo's last years price fix This year staying with OVO would have meant £16 per month dearer than Npower fix 5 more if you consider cash back of £34 going over to Npower + the £105 paid after 12 debits received. Impressed with Npowers telephone staff all different people on 3 occasions with no waiting on the phone and all pleasant and helpful as was Atlantic and OVO over the years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure