housing.council tax benefit for 19 year old

I live on disability benefits. My 19 yr old son is on a 'gap year' and just got a job, so has a take home of £240 a week. I obviously don't get any benefits for him, but am worried about my entitlement to housing and council tax benefit while he is earning and living at home. I would like some info before I phone my local HB Office, so I know what I am talking about. Any help? Ta

Comments

• any benefits you receive - housing benefit, council tax benefit, etc - BUT NOT DLA (this isnt means tested) will be affected if someone in the house is now earning. they will be expected to pay their half of stuff like rent, council tax etc. you will still get half for your half, but theperson who is earning now will have to pay!!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Make sure that when they assess the income of your son as seperate from your benefits, that you ask for them to be treated as 2 seperate incomes. Sorry, its not meant to sound horrible, but only from experience, a friend of mine lives with her mum, her mum now gets state pension, asked for a reduction, no they were earning to much, so they both wrote in saying mother / daughter relationship not partners income and based from that letter they got a reduction.
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • If you get dla care i don't think they take any non-dependent deductions for housing beefit/council tax
  • There will be no deductions according to this council website as you are in receipt of DLA.

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/housingbenefit/nondependentdeductions

"No deduction applies for any non-dependant whatsoever if the Housing Benefit claimant or any partner is:
    • Registered Blind
    • In receipt of Severe Disablement Allowance
    • In receipt of Disability Living Allowance
    • In receipt of Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance "
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    If you're in receipt of any rate of the care component of DLA any non-dependants in your household are ignored for HB/CTB purposes so there is no deduction from these benefits. If you're not then the non-dependant deduction depends on his gross income not his net or 'take home' pay. The previous poster has supplied a link to the rates
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • Thanks for your help. The Tameside website was extremely useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure