Debit card fraud... bad day for me.

Comments

• I am sorry this happened to you jonathan (and others) , it's just happened to me too, also with a Lloyds debit card. When I checked my online statement on Tuesday morning, £550 had been paid to Comet, nothing to do with me or other half. I phoned the bank straight away to stop the card. Comet were not very helpful, they were able to get details of the transaction from my address and said it was a phone order on Sunday, which was due for delivery that same day - but they could not stop it. They refused to give me any further details due to data protection ( ! ) and said an invoice "might" arrive at my house with details. They would not even tell me WHAT had been bought and where it had been delivered. I have never bought anything from Comet so they don't have my details other than for this fraudulent transaction.

Lloyds have said I should get the money back within 5 days, I'm hoping I will not also have to fight to get back charges for going over my overdraft limit.
  • Our experience is that we have had "chargebacks" when a stolen card has been used to make a purchase from us. Personally we have had attempted transactions made by someone who had our card details and we were refunded.I'm not sure if the protection you gat with debit card is the same as credit card though.Speak to the card issuer about it and cancel the card , they will send you a new one.

https://www.northumbrianumbers.com
  • kolakube_ wrote:
    I am sorry this happened to you jonathan (and others) , it's just happened to me too, also with a Lloyds debit card. When I checked my online statement on Tuesday morning, £550 had been paid to Comet, nothing to do with me or other half. I phoned the bank straight away to stop the card. Comet were not very helpful, they were able to get details of the transaction from my address and said it was a phone order on Sunday, which was due for delivery that same day - but they could not stop it. They refused to give me any further details due to data protection ( ! ) and said an invoice "might" arrive at my house with details. They would not even tell me WHAT had been bought and where it had been delivered. I have never bought anything from Comet so they don't have my details other than for this fraudulent transaction.

Lloyds have said I should get the money back within 5 days, I'm hoping I will not also have to fight to get back charges for going over my overdraft limit.

this has happened to several people I know of, and I always find it strange that the banks always allow the fraudster to go over your overdraft limit (sometimes by thousands), rather than reject the transaction. Is there any point in having a limit?? Perhaps if they didn't do this so readily, the fraudsters would get away with less, or is that too much like common sense for the banks?
    Mortgage to clear asap! - [STRIKE]£148,874.38 [/STRIKE]as at 1 May 2013
    £79,176.55 May 2018
    £59,516.06 July 2019
    November 2020 £35,914.62
  • James_N
    James_N Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    this has happened to several people I know of, and I always find it strange that the banks always allow the fraudster to go over your overdraft limit (sometimes by thousands), rather than reject the transaction. Is there any point in having a limit?? Perhaps if they didn't do this so readily, the fraudsters would get away with less, or is that too much like common sense for the banks?

I am with Morgan Stanley and live in Wales. Whilst out shopping (well - I did not shop - my son and I went to the castle instead) with my soon to be married daughter and family I was phoned on my mobile by the CC company. Did I know my card was being used in Scotland for high-value purchases (you bet! £2000+ on rings, £1000+ on dresses, £100 deposit on luxury chocolate treats deposit ..).
    I had to pay them a £27 overlimit payment immediately by debit card, and THEN they upped my limit to accommodate the extra purchases yet to be made.
    That's when it helps to have a squeaky clean long term relationship - they can see the unusual transactions and take action AND help you if you are a genuine good customer.
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Similar thing happened to me in september. Id checked First Direct online and noticed a £100 payment to Orange. As nobody is on that network it aroused my suspicion. After checking with DH that he hadnt been buying anything I studied the statements and found over £500 worth of mobile phone transactions that had nothing to do with us dating back up to 5 weeks (cant believe we hadnt noticed!)

Called First Direct who instantly cancelled my card and immediately refunded £400 of the transactions . We had to wait a few days for the other £100 while they dealt with T Mobile.
    Unfortunately, this little shopping spree sent us overdrawn and FD charged us £50 for the priviledge of being robbed. After much complaining they reduced it to £12.
  • fitorbust
    fitorbust Posts: 568 Forumite
    I have just been checking my AL business account and have £689 gone out to Philips Eindhoven on the 26/12.... rang the emergency line and cancelled the card but can't talk to anyone til tomorrow as the business bank is closed - it seems if I had a personal account I could - how annoying!
    Let's hope I get the money back - especially as the tax bill is looming at the end of January!
    NO EXCUSES - THIS YEAR IT'S PERSONAL..........
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Similar thing happened to me in september. Id checked First Direct online and noticed a £100 payment to Orange. As nobody is on that network it aroused my suspicion. After checking with DH that he hadnt been buying anything I studied the statements and found over £500 worth of mobile phone transactions that had nothing to do with us dating back up to 5 weeks (cant believe we hadnt noticed!)

Called First Direct who instantly cancelled my card and immediately refunded £400 of the transactions . We had to wait a few days for the other £100 while they dealt with T Mobile.
    Unfortunately, this little shopping spree sent us overdrawn and FD charged us £50 for the priviledge of being robbed. After much complaining they reduced it to £12.

why should you have to pay the £12, i wouldnt, its not your fault u went overdrawn
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • greengrass
    greengrass Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seems a coincidence but I purchased from amazon for christmas and my card has just been cloned too
  • On tuesday I checked my Lloyds statement and lo and behold some f***** has used my card with a company called Eurobet. I am £270 out of pocket and now have to wait for a new card and hopefully my money back. I am really careful with my personal details and I'm angry that someone has got hold of my card details. I hoped (believed) this would never happen to me but how wrong I was.

Having had a look on the internet I found an interesting article about card skimming at petrol stations:

-http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article1400176.ece

I often use my debit card to pay for fuel and now reading this has put me off using my card in these situations. I'll definitely be using cash from now on at my local Shell garage!
  • On tuesday I checked my Lloyds statement and lo and behold some f***** has used my card with a company called Eurobet. I am £270 out of pocket and now have to wait for a new card and hopefully my money back. I am really careful with my personal details and I'm angry that someone has got hold of my card details. I hoped (believed) this would never happen to me but how wrong I was.

Having had a look on the internet I found an interesting article about card skimming at petrol stations:

-http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article1400176.ece

I often use my debit card to pay for fuel and now reading this has put me off using my card in these situations. I'll definitely be using cash from now on at my local Shell garage!

Hi, i notice your fraud was to a company called Eurobet, there are numerous other members on here all with the same problem, you haven't by any chance bought anything from shopneo.

It may be totally different, just with you mentioning Eurobet it makes me wonder. There are a few threads about the shopneo problem (i am not implying this is shopneo's fault): HERE and HERE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure