Debit card fraud... bad day for me.

Hello all,

I checked my Lloyds online account last night and found a transaction for £340 that I didn't recognise. I contacted the fraud line to contest it and asked if I should cancel my card with card services. 'It's probably best to do so, to be on the safe side' was the reply. So through to card services and I cancel my card only to be told that I have 4 more fraudulant transactions pending taking the total I have been ripped off by UP to £640! Do any of you guys have experience of getting money back from Lloyds from a fraudulent DEBIT card transaction or can I kiss it goodbye?:mad:

Comments

• daymo
    daymo Posts: 171 Forumite
    I imagine they will refund you with no problems,once the police and their fraud department get to work that is.We got hit with fraud on Our Woolwich account,it was to the tune of£250 and all of it on my OH`s debit card No. We soon got our money back.The police traced the fraud to an i.p in California! he/she bought a subscription to an online gaming service -amongst other things-so probably a spotty he!,most banks will refund fraudulant use, so as annoying as it is I wouldn`t get too stressed....
    I would love some decent telly on a Saturday night
  • richt71
    richt71 Posts: 946 Forumite
    Hello all,

I checked my Lloyds online account last night and found a transaction for £340 that I didn't recognise. I contacted the fraud line to contest it and asked if I should cancel my card with card services. 'It's probably best to do so, to be on the safe side' was the reply. So through to card services and I cancel my card only to be told that I have 4 more fraudulant transactions pending taking the total I have been ripped off by UP to £640! Do any of you guys have experience of getting money back from Lloyds from a fraudulent DEBIT card transaction or can I kiss it goodbye?:mad:

I had a lloyds debit card pinched from my pocket in a nightclub. I realised when I got home and called to stop it! Some cheeky so and so had used it to buy champanye in the nightclub and had run up a bill of over £300. Lloyds credited me and I gave a statement about what had happened. I would think as you reported it swiftly they'll do the same for you.
  • richt71 wrote:
    I had a lloyds debit card pinched from my pocket in a nightclub. I realised when I got home and called to stop it! Some cheeky so and so had used it to buy champanye in the nightclub and had run up a bill of over £300. Lloyds credited me and I gave a statement about what had happened. I would think as you reported it swiftly they'll do the same for you.

You didn't just have a really really good time then

:rotfl: :rotfl: :beer: :beer:

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Virtually all misuse of card claims suceed as it is still possible to clone cards and even generate valid numbers online. The only claims that the banks do resist are where money has been taken from cashpoints or in shops face to face using a PIN, as it means the owner of the card must have compromised, or colluded to lose his card *and* his pin.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    soolin wrote:
    The only claims that the banks do resist are where money has been taken from cashpoints or in shops face to face using a PIN, as it means the owner of the card must have compromised, or colluded to lose his card *and* his pin.

Soo
    But the bank has to PROVE that, not merely suspect it.

Innocent until proven guilty still apllies (except with speed camera fines sent to the registered keeper, that is).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Recently a friend of mine had his Abbey debit card cloned and investigations are ongoing as to exactly where it happened but even his pin number was used.It is most likely it was one of those machines where they put a false front on and read the pin.He is getting his money refunded,but what a worry for people,you are not safe anywhere.I get a lot of things over the internet and i think as long as you are careful it is probably safer these days!!
  • Shell got her card copied at sainsburys cash machine a few months ago when the statement came we noticed as we never take cash out there we just check the balance.

The coop checked in to it and refunded the £20
    :j WILL GET THERE SOON :j

WATCH OUT FOR THE PIG FLYING PAST!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • tonyivb
    tonyivb Posts: 214 Forumite
    It was about two years ago, but on two occasions I had a batch of fraudulent transactions on my credit card... one was a shopping spree in Oxford Street and the other was 5 different flights on Easyjet & Ryanair.

On both occasions the frauds occurred right after I had made an Amazon Marketplace purchase.

I called the CC company as soon as I noticed, and although the transactions were on my statement I only had to pay for my own transactions and I was no worse off apart from the hassle of getting a new card.
    Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!
  • i recently had my debit card cloned/frauded, i recently placed an order with amazon wonder if thats where they got the number form!! makes u wonder
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • Claude_2
    Claude_2 Posts: 247 Forumite
    I've just received a phone call from my credit card company to ask me about transactions on my account. I hadn't used this card since August until Saturday 18th when I signed up for a free trial with Lovefilm! So I immediately cancelled the card and the free trial. First problem I've ever had with using a card online! Too much of a coincidence I think!

And thankfully the credit card company were on the ball. I probably wouldn't have checked my account until my next payment was due!
    "There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone.” Louis Camuti
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure