is there a minimum temperature required for rented accomodation?

2»

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i had this problem in my last house and had a gas heater in most rooms and it didnt work. environmental health came round to assess the situation as i was suffering from re-occuring chest infections fro the cold house! they offered to put in central heating with my landlords permission...they said yes but they would have to put my rent up! :mad:

You don't get chest infections from a cold house. You might if you had a damp problem and there were fungus spores in the air? Calor gas heaters produce a lot of water. I know a proper chest infection is a bacteria not a fungus BTW!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Hi - I have a similar problem: small child and inadequate heating (mine takes hours to get up to any kind of temperature comfortable enough to live in).

Anyway, I phoned Leeds City Council at one point when I was fuming about my landlord and asked about his legal obligations and it turns out that landlords/ladies do have an obligation to provide a liveable standard of heating. The council said they would have come round to my property to decide if this was the case with where I lived and if they did deem it unsuitable they would be legally obliged to sue the landlord.

Perhaps it would be worth a call to your local council housing department to find out what they've got to say on the subject - you don't need to be a council tenant to speak to someone about your accommodation issues.

Hope that helps!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You can do the maths to work out if the radiator sizes you have are deemed a suitable installation for the size of your room.

If the whole of the ground floor is open plan, the maths might show that a 3rd radiator is required.

http://www.muswell-hill.com/foxandco/pages/calculating_radiator_sizes.htm
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Hi - I have a similar problem: small child and inadequate heating (mine takes hours to get up to any kind of temperature comfortable enough to live in).

Anyway, I phoned Leeds City Council at one point when I was fuming about my landlord and asked about his legal obligations and it turns out that landlords/ladies do have an obligation to provide a liveable standard of heating. The council said they would have come round to my property to decide if this was the case with where I lived and if they did deem it unsuitable they would be legally obliged to sue the landlord.

Perhaps it would be worth a call to your local council housing department to find out what they've got to say on the subject - you don't need to be a council tenant to speak to someone about your accommodation issues.

Hope that helps!

I think something has got misinterpreted in the phone conversation.

You can legally rent out unfurnished, unheated properties.

In any case a landlord could supply several electric fires that you can get on ebay for a couple of pounds each. You can get new fan heaters for £10 from Argos.

It is very easy to get any property up to 26C in all rooms - less easy to pay for the electricity!!
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    My daughter is in the same boat, she has a 1yr old and now shes on benefits. she lives in a 2 up 2 down end terrace, there is no insulation, no cavity wall (therefore cannot have cavity wall insulation), ill fitting front door and door to living room, no door to the stairway (she put a thick curtain up and it seems to keep heat from escaping upstairs and through the roof. She put in for a warm front grant in Sept and had the survey done in Dec, she in now waiting on them installing loft insulation and draft proofing measures around windows and doors. Its looking like she may end up moving before she has the works done.

Her bathroom is downstairs and classed as having 3 outside walls as it has a flat roof, she has been told this room will always be cold no matter what she does.

Warm front cannot legally touch the central heating system as this is the Landlords property and he is responsible.
  • kat1982
    kat1982 Posts: 23 Forumite
    I am unable to find anything that states a legal obligation that a landlord has to maintain a set temperature, only that the heating must be working... I will contact the council though for general clarification on this, it seems crazy that a house with adequate heating would be this chilly, theres only so many pairs of curtains a girl can buy!
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kat1982 wrote: »
    I am unable to find anything that states a legal obligation that a landlord has to maintain a set temperature, only that the heating must be working... I will contact the council though for general clarification on this, it seems crazy that a house with adequate heating would be this chilly, theres only so many pairs of curtains a girl can buy!

That's because there is actually no law.

With a furnished property if you check different councils and housing charities guidelines you should get:
    1. A heating source in all liveable rooms this excludes kitchens and bathroom as you don't live in them.
    2. A source for cooking i.e. a connected cooker

With an unfurnished property you should get:
    1. A source by which you can heat the property so an electric socket will do.
    2. A source by which you can cook by, so a gas supply or an electric socket will do.

BTW heated towel rails if connected properly and are the right size should heat your bathroom up. My own is actually a radiator but other peoples are actually electric.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • LittleTinker
    LittleTinker Posts: 2,841 Forumite
    What settings are your boiler on for the heating side of things? Do the radiators get hot all over? Or just at the bottom?

Another thing to make sure you havent got radiators covered over tuck curtains down the back of radiators on a night to make sure the heat is directed into the room and not into the window area.

Ignore this! Do NOT tuck curtains in.

Also....you have a cold house. You can move or put up with it but dont worry about the baby, it will be fine......as thousands of babies in the past have been who live in houses with no heating.
  • kat1982
    kat1982 Posts: 23 Forumite
    its not so much 'i have a baby, its not warm enough' - i get the concept of layers and am in the habit of putting a cardi and socks on to go to bed! its more disheartening that i have used 200 in gas in two months, and have not felt warm at any point, and neither has the house! to put the central ehating on full and only reach 15 degrees seems pathetic to me...but the ch was serviced just before moving in. i went to b and q and bought some diy loft insulation yesterday to sort out the draughty bathroom, and warmfront will be contacting me in the next four weeks to arrange a survey... im just planning on many more blanket and curtain purchases until then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure