First Post
edited 3 December 2009 at 11:44AM in Music MoneySaving
This thread is to discuss:
It finds you the cheapest MP3 single & album downloads

TC_FB.gif

Comments

• mfraser
    mfraser Posts: 13 Forumite
    Please note that some retailers listed only support Windows and Mac as they require an installer to be downloaded. So no HMV, Tesco or SkyTunes for me.
  • FANTASTIC!!!! Thank you to all at MSE who put their time and effort into this - I've searched for quite a few albums and tracks, and it works great!!! Having spent the last 2 weeks trying to individually compare mp3 prices, and wishing a tool like this exisited, I am really delighted to see this!!
    :) Be nice - it's free! :)

:cool: If you 'like' or find anyone's post useful, please take a moment to click "thanks" :cool:
  • rafraf03
    rafraf03 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fantastic Tool !

Just a quick note that echoes what mfraser mentions to say that eventhough some tracks are not limited (in the number of plays, or time) they may not be DRM free. This is probably the case of the retailers mfraser mentions, but it is true of iTunes as it allows them to track sales, playtimes etc...

Good job Martin on that one ! (wish I'd had the idea !)
    rafraf03
    :A
  • Sparky67
    Sparky67 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't find this on Facebook - the webpage doesn't load properly and you can't click to follow on the page and it doesn't come up if you search Facebook?
  • Ardsguy
    Ardsguy Posts: 51 Forumite
    Job well done! But the tesco site keeps telling me the download is currently unavailable in a dialogue box, and their "Help" isn't brilliant, I'm a mac user though.

Spotify it is for the next while...
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of my employer or any other organisation or individual
  • Good work - the finished product now looks excellent. Well done!
    Russell
  • Fuchsia_a
    Fuchsia_a Posts: 116 Forumite
    I think this site needs a warning on it that individual mp3 downloads may not be cheaper than a subscription plan from an alternative provider if you're downloading a large number of tracks regularly.

I used emusic for a while and my subscription worked out at about 22p per track when mp3 downloads elsewhere were averaging around 49p-80p per track on the other main sites. It wouldn't surprise me if subscription sites are still cheaper if you're downloading a lot of tracks on a regular basis.
  • Thank you to the MSE team for giving us a fantastic tool! Anything that helps my music budget go further gets a huge thumbs up from me :j:j:j

Martin, you deserve a knighthood for all your endeavours. What I have learnt on this site has changed my financial life around completely and I am sure that I am not the only one. Somehow, thank you does not seem sufficient :kisses3:

(Just having a wee gratitude moment there :D)
    mmmm, still seeking something witty to be my auto-signature . . . so this will have to suffice for now ;)
  • I agree with Fuchsia. If you download least 10 songs per month (less then 1 album) subscription is pretty much always cheaper.

I use Sky Songs and ANY track (top 10 or old stuff) is one credit = 65p..... As a subscriber, I get 10 included tracks per month (which is about what I need) so it brilliant value + I get unlimited streaming of every other song ever released....

emusic and a few others are the same I think...... Spotify is similar but costs the same £6.49 as Sky and has NO included downloads so costs more long term.

Stay Soggy.
    Fuchsia_a wrote: »
    I think this site needs a warning on it that individual mp3 downloads may not be cheaper than a subscription plan from an alternative provider if you're downloading a large number of tracks regularly.

I used emusic for a while and my subscription worked out at about 22p per track when mp3 downloads elsewhere were averaging around 49p-80p per track on the other main sites. It wouldn't surprise me if subscription sites are still cheaper if you're downloading a lot of tracks on a regular basis.
  • Absolutely brilliant. I've been looking for a tool like this for a long time. I normally use Tesco and 7 Digital so it's great to see that Tesco is cheaper a lot of the time.
    Thanks for this - I'll use it constantly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure