Holiday Money to Thailand

Going toThailand for a couple of weeks soon, can anyone advise which currency to take and whether cash, travllers cheques or cashpoint is the best option?

Thanks

Comments

• When I go I buy about £100 of baht before i go then I just take english notes with me to change anywhere.You can get money from cashpoints over there I think there is a thread here somewhere about best credit card to use
    travelover
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The cheapest way to spend overseas: save 6% Martin'a article.

ATM and Nationwide debit/cash card are always the best option. What debit card do you have? It could be better too than buying cheques or currency here in UK.
  • sukey13
    sukey13 Posts: 278
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Definitely open up a Nationwide Flex Account then you can withdraw cash out the atms over there with no charge.

Open at least a month before you go - tried to open ours with a fortnight to go before our holiday and they took ages to set it up and didn't do it in time. At least it's ready for next time.
  • lima_2
    lima_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks for yor replies. I already have a Nationwide flex so looks like I'm already one step ahead! As suggested will probably take £100 in Thai baht and withdraw the rest. Does debit card give a better exchange rate than taking money and putting surplus in hotel safe or is security the main issue?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    lima wrote:
    Thanks for yor replies. I already have a Nationwide flex so looks like I'm already one step ahead! As suggested will probably take £100 in Thai baht and withdraw the rest. Does debit card give a better exchange rate than taking money and putting surplus in hotel safe or is security the main issue?
    The exchange rate is the main issue. The rate you get when withdrawing currency with Nationwide card is the best and cannot be beaten. I even wouldn't take £100 in local currency. You can withdraw money right at the Thailand airport. In unlikely case of emergency (ATM is out of order) you can always exchange some ££s to local currecy at Thailand airport.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    lima wrote:

NO! (where are my smileys?)

Don't change ANY money in the UK, it's COMPLETELY pointless. Just take your Nationwide card with you, there are cashpoints at the airport.
    You can take the £100 in UK cash with you if you like, for emergencies.
    ie. If you need to withdraw cash more than twice a day(Nationwide may limit you to two withdrawals daily for security purposes) or you misplace your card and need something to tide you over.
    Did you explore the links given to you? The Nationwide DC gives the best exchange rate anywhere.

In addition to this, I would take the Nationwide CC for purchases. I wouldn't dream of handing my debit card over to someone. Debit card for cash withdrawal, Credit card for purchases.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are plenty of ATM machines at the airport. Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging.

However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Donnie
    pin wrote:
    There are plenty of ATM machines at the airport. Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging.

However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now.

Your post is contradictory.

"Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging."

"However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now."
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Donnie wrote:
    Your post is contradictory.

"Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging."

"However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now."

Not wanting to get into an argument here.

The spare currency is for emergeny purposes only, I never take it with the view to converting it, just for emergencies.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Donnie
    Only teasing...I can't seem to find my 'smileys'.

It's just that I wrote, "You can take the £100 in UK cash with you if you like, for emergencies."
    and then you wrote,
    "no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging." and ""However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now."

Of course, you were just agreeing with me, just the way you wrote it was completely contradictory.

Can you help me find my 'smileys'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport