Utility Warehouse - account cancellation

Comments

• OK Guys

Let's not cloud the issue with facts. :D

Didn't I read somewhere that their customer contact departments recently all changed to 10p/minute 0871 numbers too?

They recently changed to 0844 numbers and calls to customer services and tech support are included if silver or gold membership is taken out.
    Peak calls via T+ 6p connection fee then 2.5p/min (All plus VAT)

I thought that BT was also 6p connection and UW does include VAT.
    T+ won't allow you to use Primus or 1899!

Since when? I have no problem using either.

As for call costs, their pricing structure is different to providers such as BT and, if you wanted to have an equivalent to Option 2 3, it will be cheaper than BT.

I could go on, but the original thread was asking for sensible suggestions with regard to the pig.

Hi Adrew

I would go back to UW and explain that, although the pig was required initially when it was a call diverter, it wasn't required when the system converted over to CPS (3 years ago?).

Unfortunately, at that time, UW didn't request the return of the pig and I assumed that it wasn't required. My wife / husband / partner / significant other and I have search the whole house from top to bottom but can only assume that must have been thrown out.

Good luck

Mike

As a note, the pig's are still used for cable customers and are a re-usable piece of kit in this disposable world.
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    MIke.

I think Quentin is referring to BT,s Free Evening and Weekend Call Offer if you sign a 12 month rolling contract. Not the one you pay £3.45p a moment for.

Have you moved your line rental to UW,if so how do you manage to use Primus, i thought only BT allowed you to CPS your calls to another supplier.

A friend of mind uses them and whenever i raise the membership fee,he says its worth that just to get everything on one bill,and the free 24/7 geographical calls.So you do have your fans.
  • Hi jhp

You got in before me with some of the comments. I was in draft for so long. :p

You are right about Primus, but I have customers using that route - as you can use another CPS with UW - they charge an extra £3 line rental. Or, use BT and CPS your calls through UW. :D

We do have some fans out there, somewhere. I still think it's hard to argue with the independent reviews of their products and customer service in relation to the vast majority of other providers in the market. (hides under desk).
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    jhp wrote: »
    According to their site they now use 0844 5p numbers,or its free if you pay a bit more for your membership.

It is more than "a bit".

The cheapest membership is £1.76 every month.

To get the free calls to contact them you pay either £2.35 or £3 every month.

So where do you see any savings with them?
  • Quentin
    I could go on, but the original thread was asking for sensible suggestions with regard to the pig.

But you mislead us with the matters you have gone on about:

You say you have no problems using Primus or 1899.

If uw customers want to use another cps (eg Primus), then they must pay an extra £3 every month on their line rental. You "forgot" to mention that until prodded.

But in fact it would be £4 wouldn't it? You also never mentioned the £1 minimum charge every month from uw. Then add in the membership fee - how can it possibly compare with BT for cost?

So what would be the possible reason money savers would want to use uw for their landline?

You say uw is cheaper than BT for options 1 and 2 - but there is no monthly minimum call charge with BT. And as already shown all off peak calls are free via Primus with BT, and peak calls are only 5p each via 1899. (UW charge 6p for each connection plus the 2.5p per minute).

So where is there any saving at all?

As always, don't forget the monthly membership fee on top at uw.

Remind us, what is the membership fee for?
  • Hi Quentin

With regard to 1899 and Primus, I was just pointing out that it was possible, I didn't make any claims regarding value for money with Primus. I agree that it is more costly, but your statement was that UW didn't allow it, which was inaccurate.

Also, I said that UW would be cheaper than BT for Options 2 and 3 - and as regard call costs, there is a written guarantee. Quote "Every month we compare the prices we have charged for each call against BT current prices, and we will give you an additional credit if necessary to ensure we are cheaper". - That's good enough for me.

At the end of the day, it is horses for courses and it is always interesting that every time UW is mentioned, these types of things come up, but the original question from the OP wasn't about joining UW, it was looking for some suggestions regarding the pig, which I responded to with something to try. At the end of the day we are on here to learn and support and I, for one, will be interested to see if this, or any other approach works.

Mike
  • Quentin
    Hi Quentin

With regard to 1899 and Primus, I was just pointing out that it was possible, I didn't make any claims regarding value for money with Primus. I agree that it is more costly,...........

Also, I said that UW would be cheaper than BT for Options 2 and 3 - and as regard call costs, there is a written guarantee. Quote "Every month we compare the prices we have charged for each call against BT current prices, and we will give you an additional credit if necessary to ensure we are cheaper". - That's good enough for me.

You seem easily satisfied, then.

But this site is for moneysavers (not uw reps to push their products).

So what is the point of joing the uw for your homephone if you want to have the cheapest set up.

And what is the point of joining uw and then using Primus (at an extra £3 a month) when you then have to pay uw more than you would have to pay BT?

You even admit yourself that this is more costly via uw!

Comparing prices of calls with BT is another useless feature for moneysavers.

Moneysavers don't pay BT for their calls! As already pointed out the way to do it is to have free calls off peak via primus, and free calls during the peak period for just 5p connection fee via 1899.

UW charge 6p connection fee plus 2.5p per minute as you know.

Post here to help moneysavers, not to try and justify your own company.

Who, just to remind everyone, charge the following on top of the monthly rental:

At least £1.76 membershio fee.

And 6p connection fee plus 2.5p per minute for every call made during peak periods.

And at least £1 every month minimum charge

And £3 every month if you want to use primus (which you can use free if you use bt for your line rental)

And £10 in advance when you sign up.

And £30 for a "free" pig if you leave, and don't return it.

Why not help us save money instead of trying to take advantage of this platform to advertise your company all the time? You could easily have pointed out the extra cost involved in using primus with uw instead of just trying to score points - which now has backfired anyway, as no-one (except a uw rep) would pay an extra £3 every month to be able to use a free service)
  • Quentin wrote: »
    T+ won't allow you to use Primus or 1899!

Just responding to innaccuracy.
    Why not help us save money instead of trying to take advantage of this platform to advertise your company all the time?

:mad:

L & K

Mike
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Quentin, since he started posting in May 2006, MBTS has been regularly sailing close to the wind with posts which many view as blatant promotion of UW/Telecom Plus (of which he is a 'distributor').

I clearly touched a nerve when I posted Martin's opinion of the company (from 2006 IIRC) and, unfortunately, he went into attack mode again. Sorry. My fault.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Quentin
    Heinz wrote: »
    MBTS has been regularly sailing close to the wind with posts which many view as blatant promotion of UW/Telecom Plus (of which he is a 'distributor').

Such posts (advertising for personal gain) should only be in the referrers forum.

Everyone else who attempts it gets their posts deleted.

Why are uw reps allowed to get away with it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure