PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FirstBuy, Newbuy are a disaster waiting to happen

2»

Comments

• Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Slightly different, but we were offered a 75% shared equity deal for ten years in an area with lots of newbuilds. Several years later we would have been no nearer finding that £40,000, and values have fallen by almost that amount anyway. I really hope we are not setting off a ticking time-bomb with this latest wheeze.
    Been away for a while.
  • From my perspective the FirstBuy scheme (although now discontinued) was a very good one for myself and my partner. We had both just graduated last year and both had good jobs in the pipeline. Instead of paying £700-900/month, paying somebody else's mortgage in rent for the next 3/4/5/6 years, we managed to get a 4.20% 5-year fixed mortgage and get on the FirstBuy scheme. The interest free 5-years borrowing money from the House builder and the government gives us 5-years to effectively 'save-up' for our deposit, which we intend to pay off after the interest free 'term' is up. This scheme has allowed us to at least get on the ladder and save up and pay towards our future instead of somebody else's. Without a doubt if you spend a good few more years saving up for your deposit you will be better off in terms of having to borrow less, get better rates and such like but you will still be paying huge rents all the way up to that time and life's events will take place and the money may be required for other things. Life is one big journey, you have to take these opportunities when they arise. Albeit I wouldn't go near a shared equity scheme. :O
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Firthy777 wrote: »
    From my perspective the FirstBuy scheme (although now discontinued) was a very good one for myself and my partner... Albeit I wouldn't go near a shared equity scheme. :O
    FirstBuy was shared equity, as is its replacement, Help To Buy - Equity Loan. You don't repay the original £ amount, you repay the % of the property value you borrowed, when you sell, at the end of the term, or voluntarily. That's the "equity" connection.

Perhaps you wouldn't go near shared ownership?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Turnbull2000
    Turnbull2000 Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    Maybe so, but you've got no choice if you want you own property, have you? This scheme will likely become permanent, as it's removal will could cause a drop in prices in five years time.

That house prices will rise substantially as a result of all this government support is something thousands of new property buyers will simply have to put up with.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This latest in a long line of similar scams will be about as permanent as MIRAS. Why can the government not resist meddling in the housing market? The only intervention should be to stop builders sitting on huge land banks. There is one development here that has had permission for years, but the greedy developers are waiting for prices to rise before building.
    Been away for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport