howdens "lamona" appliances question - any good?

Comments

• We have moved in to a newly refurbished property where a Lamona Ceramic Hob has been newly installed. After the first use you could see stains on the hob where water drops touched the ceramic surface which could not be washed away.

I have to say that we were very careful when using it. It has been three weeks since we have been using the hob and despite our best efforts to keep it tidy the hob looks as if it has been used for a year.

If I had to rate the hob I would give it 2 out of 10. It is not 1 out of 10 just because you actually can prepare a meal on it. I do not expect it to last long though.
  • Made by Beko was what I heard too. As background we usually buy Bosch. We had Lamona products installed as they are cheap and I thought what the heck, replace them with higher spec goods when I feel like it or if they break down. We have had Beko fridges and freezers for many years without any problems. They are built relatively simply but then the technology is not that demanding. That said they were among the only cooling appliances to have fans in to circulate the air for example - check your fridge or freezer. The oven and hob are fairly simple and don't exude quality, but you get what you pay for and we have not had any problems at all to date. The dishwasher we have is one of the best we have ever had in terms of cleaning ability for sure (comparing to AEG and Bosch) and is also problem free.

Basically we found the price with the fitter discount and goods thrown in to be the best overall in terms of quality versus cost. Ikea was the only cheaper realistically, but you can tell the difference, they are not as robust or well built. Cheap for a reason. Shops such as Wickes etc were not much cheaper but had poor design and quality (one shop design we were given was non-functional and dangerous). Moben etc gave a lot less than Howdens for the money but no doubt would have looked very nice.
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    holiday101 wrote: »
    hi,
    we got this oven about 12 months ago and we are already having various problems with it, the installers told us that is out of warranty so we are left to pick up the pieces, the oven keep turnig itself off in the middle of cooking, which leaves cooking half done and sometimes completely ruined, there is no after care service as written on thier website and if there is one at what cost?
    does anyone out there know what i should do or what step i should take to solving this problem? as i cannot afford a new oven 12 months down the line, thanks

I would have thought your first port of call should be the fitter/installer if it was brought as part of a package.

he may also have more sway with Howdens if he uses them a lot.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2011 at 7:34PM
    Have fitted BEKO under oven for a relative and IMO it is a nice product. Made in Turkey.

I have just replaced a Hotpoint, as a stopgap, and that was from the EU, but all the QC checks appeared to be in "slovak". I would the rate the BEKO higher.

I have no confidence in any Brand these days they are often built to a price, many in the same factory, and badged up with a price to fit (within a given specification level)
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • These are Howdens appliances. You can get spares from GDHA (Glenn Dimplax) on 0845 0060006.

They are a mix of Candy and Beko ovens, branded as Lamona.

If you buy the spares from GDHA you WILL pay a fortune for them, for example the Thermostat on a HJA3220 costs including postage £113.29p if you get the Candy part it costs £45.00p :mad:

The reason is they dont want them repaired, they want you to go and buy a nice new shiny one.

They come with a 2yr Guarantee.

Footnote :

Remember all makes of machines are ENVIROMENTALLY friendly and they cost less in electricity consumption ! :)

:cool: Really, modern appliances are designed for no-more than 5yrs. and when you bin them they are crushed and sent to CHINA so they can make you a tin of baked beans or your new car. So they have a small carbon footprint aswell.

The enviromental side is rubbish, it takes energy to make and destroy the machine, and the heating elements and insulation is no different than they were 30yrs ago. The energy reduction is done by having your fan motor rpm`s slower and the thermostat is less precise this means the machine will fail faster therefore perpetuating the whole grand scheme.

Any savings you make from having a new shiny appliance is gobbled-up by the fact you have to buy a new one. :rotfl:

I am a domestic appliance engineer, so i know what i`m talking about. :A
  • debbyjg
    debbyjg Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Did post on a other thread but had the gas double oven repaired over and over then set fire. Replacement same again, friend had washer drier same again. Diplomat now lamona appliances are Howdens badged makes remember your builder is the customer and as trade you have no support. Howdens customer services don't care less.
  • allan673 wrote: »
    hi
    were looking at howdens kitchens.
    we notice that the vast majority of the appliances are lamona brand??

what are lamona like please? we obviously want half descent quality appliances, i.e a reliable washing machine and cooker.
    are they reliable, spares easy to get hold of etc.

thanks !!!!
    Hi we bought the full range of lamona for our new kitchen. The Freezer is so noisey you cant't here the TV in the lounge. they have been out to it three times now to correct it, but to no avail! The dishwasher was constantly leaking and warping the doors they have been out to that three times as well before Howdens got involved and had a new one delivered which does work. the cooker well bits keep falling of that and the wok ring will not stay on unless you stand holding the switch in all the time then the flame is some twelve inches high, release the switch and wait for the gas to run out. The washer, so far so good!:mad:
  • The appliances are made by a variety of manufacturers, there are no set manufacturers for Lamona, generally from what I have seen they are awful, steer clear.
  • Corn Hulio has summed it all up. In addition
    Our experience with Lamona:
    2 year old Howdens Kitchen (incidentally-- very robust and well made, and recommended by my trusted builder who has proved correct):
    5 burner gashob had to be replaced after a month as difficult stainless steel to clean ( a Friday product?)-- replacement's surface finish much much better.
    Dishwasher: control panel replaced twice in short intervals as programme indicator light very dim indeed; engineer admitted that all are the same tho the last one is a bit brighter!.
    ! No probs (so far) with undercounter fridge.

You should get what you pay for as we included a Bosch double oven (AOK so far) in the package. But
    beware of super dooper German made(?) AEG (Electrolux) freezers. Absolute rubbish- replaced fan unit for this £800 product after 18 months !!! (Fortunately insurance covered)
  • Lamona ovens are rubbish.The other day the glass on the inside of the door shattered leaving glass all over the meal. Never heard of this happening before.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback