Removing Double Sided Tape From PVC Window Frames

Last year, as a money saving exercise, I put some film on my windows to improve insulation rather than buying double glazing. But rather than using the double sided tape provided with the plastic film, I bought some of my own and stuck it on there. A big mistake. The normal double sided tape doesn't come off at all and becomes a dust magnet :eek: Does anyone knows of any tricks that can make the double sided tape come off easily and as quickly as possible? Thanks!
:rolleyes: Links are a man's best friends.com

Comments

• Last year, as a money saving exercise, I put some film on my windows to improve insulation rather than buying double glazing. But rather than using the double sided tape provided with the plastic film, I bought some of my own and stuck it on there. A big mistake. The normal double sided tape doesn't come off at all and becomes a dust magnet :eek: Does anyone knows of any tricks that can make the double sided tape come off easily and as quickly as possible? Thanks!

Hair dryer to warm it up.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    if the hair dryer trick doesnt work, then try some solvents like alcohol or meths.
    Get some gorm.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Pull off what you can, then WD40 on the sticky leftovers.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    White spirit will bring it off no problem.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    I used T cut on mine, brings them up like new, as has slight abrasive quality to it as well as chemicals to soften glue
  • micmac22
    micmac22 Posts: 134 Forumite
    zippo lighter fluid and a cloth, or a new (not old) stanley blade watch your fingers. all ready suggested wd 40, white spirits, all good ways.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    PVC cleaner will do the trick. I havent found anything that it hasn't removed yet.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    ormus wrote: »
    if the hair dryer trick doesnt work, then try some solvents like alcohol or meths.
    phill99 wrote: »
    White spirit will bring it off no problem.
    Depends on the particular tape. All sticky products I have ever removed have come away with one or the other, although most things don't respond to both.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Depends on the particular tape. All sticky products I have ever removed have come away with one or the other, although most things don't respond to both.

I used white spirit already and the stuff wouldn't bulge. It makes it even worse as it aggregates into a sticky, dirty paste. I will try nail polish remover tomorrow.
    :rolleyes: Links are a man's best friends.com
  • A hot heat source such as a hairdryer should help with getting off the main backing tape and then white spirit to get the remaining sticky residue off. If you didn't remove the tape backing, that is probably why white spirit didn't shift it. White spirit is what I always use to remove sticky tape residue such as left by duct tape and similar things.

Is this on painted frames? Is scraping possible with a plastic tool? How much of the original tape was left on there before you used the white spirit? Did you manage to peel away any of it or was the backing tape still attached?

Scraping it away as best as possible and then either more white spirit or Meths or lighter fuel as already suggested might do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure