We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

best place to buy cheap wild bird food

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    While we're on the subject of wild bird food, does anyone remember a grabbit or freebie towards the end of last year for 5kg of bird food for silly money? I've done a search and I can't find it anywhere but it was definitely something I found on here somewhere.
    The birds preferred the food to any of the cheap ones I've bought, and there was much less wastage, but I can't remember the on-line company I had it from. I've thrown the packaging away and can't see it on any of my cc statements. Any suggestions anyone?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JustMom
    JustMom Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi, I recommend ebay for the cheapest ,I recently bought 20k for 9.99,freepost. Quick delivery too.
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    JustMom wrote: »
    Hi, I recommend ebay for the cheapest ,I recently bought 20k for 9.99,freepost. Quick delivery too.

Have you got a link? Cheapest I can see is £15.99. Thanks.
  • MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you tried Costco? Can't remember what we paid but it was half the price of Pets at homes' one.
  • Cost co got offer on wild bird seed & fat balls 4-2-13 to 24-2-13. Well worth a look
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    12.75kg at B and M for £4.99......this was last month.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I am looking for 'no-grow' wild bird seeds at a reasonable price, any suggestions please. :)
  • I use Kennelgate at Chilwell, Nottingham. They do a good quality aniseed mix which the birds like: 15kg for about £9.65.

Def recommend.
  • Floozie
    Floozie Posts: 269
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Home Bargains or Poundland!
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I made an effort to cut bird food costs this year by making as much home produced bird food as possible and using sources of very cheap or waste human food.

I grew a couple of dozen large sunflowers in an odd corner of the garden, using sunflower seedlings that had germinated in the ground under the bird feeder. I dried the heads and I cut these up and put them out on the bird table like slices of cake. Very popular, they got picked clean.

I grew a patch of seed bearing wild flowers under the sunflowers. I also let a lot of my garden flowers run to seed at the end of the season rather than pruning them early, then clipped down the pods and stored them. You can get lists of plants suitable for this on the RSPB website. On the allotment I used to have a couple of angelica plants every year which produced kilos of seeds, but they're too big for the average town garden.

I keep an eye on places like B&M and Approved Food for suitable feed items. I got suet from AF last year for 15p per 500g and also a catering pack (5KG?) of dried fruit and B&M sells very cheap seed mix. My DD and I make batches of "fat balls" using value lard, suet, the cheap seed and fruit in various combinations.

Stale bread soaked in the dripping from the grill pan. Also skin from roasts (crackling is vile stuff), skin from roast chicken, bacon and gammon rinds.

Melon rinds and fruit peelings go down well. I also save the windfall apples from our rather grotty apple tree and put them out over the winter, in quarters. Pumpkin seeds from the kids' Halloween lanterns, pumpkin/squash rinds, apple and pear cores.

I do put out a limited amount of stale bread but it has to be soaked, either in fat or water. White bread is a waste of time as it fills the birds up but gives them sod all nutrition, but seeded bread is okay.

I regularly find coconuts reduced down to 5p in the Whoopsie section of our local Tesco. I always buy these.

As to more expensive foodstuffs there's an old fashioned ironmongery type place near us where they sell bird foods by the kilo, scooped from sacks. I buy peanuts, sunflower seeds and niger seed from them in small quantities, probably no more than a kilo of each of the first two and a couple of hundred grams of the third for the whole winter. They cost about half the price of anywhere else and I use these premium foods to bulk up the nutritional quality of my "home made" foods.

I don't buy meal worms, but when I'm digging or weeding in the garden I keep a jamjar near for any pests I turn up. Not worms, obviously, but caterpillars, woodlice, any suspicious looking beetles and every single slug. When I finish for the day I tip the jar out on the bird table. It's usually cleared within ten minutes by the birds. It's amazing how many pests you can turn up even in winter.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport