Advice needed- electric meter bypassed.

2»

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,988
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the bypass was done just as a way to get some supply of electricity to the house. It was a pre-pay meter by the way.

Whatever anyone says, electrician or not, the sentence above shows that the intention was to steal electricity. Not yourself but the lodger/electrician.
    When "wires are burnt out" you make an appropriate repair/replacement, you don't bypass the meter.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • I agree with bryand, the electrician would not of by-passed the meter for her. he would of disconnected it and made safe and then tell her to phone her provider and they would of come out and repaired it.
  • eurmalian
    eurmalian Posts: 288 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2011 at 8:44AM
    The poster below has a very good point.

I feel suitably ashamed for not checking the dates.
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,405
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This thread is nearly 3 years old. I would hope that the OPs problem has been solved by now.
  • Storm in a tea cup, nothing to worry about. Utility companies are not held to account for robbing people so in theory there is no theft. Fuel poverty is a crime against humanity that results in the deaths of around 2 thousand elderly people every year, because they can't afford heating costs.
  • eurmalian
    Wow! I don't know what planet you live on, but you've at least made me feel better about not noticing it was a long dead thread...
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    An electrician is only usually qualified to touch the electrical supply from the other side of the main fuse, which is after the meter, meter jumping is nothing new, in fact it was invented around the same time as the meter.
    Just inform them that they are a victim of the same crime as you, deception and do not answer anymore questions unless under arrest
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • bengasman
    bengasman Posts: 601 Forumite
    As long as you can make reasonably clear that the house was rented out, you have nothing to worry about.
  • eurmalian
    carly wrote: »
    This thread is nearly 3 years old. I would hope that the OPs problem has been solved by now.

I've been wondering for a little while how much of the previous comments some posters read before replying to threads. I guess this one answers it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure