radiator valves - cost to replace?

Comments

• "Why should the work of a professional plumber be worth more than mine? "

Because he knows how to change radiator valves and you do not!
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • When you clime back out from your own backside pick up the yellow pages and find the answers yourself and dont waste our generously provided time to help greatful people!:T
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I paid £100 last year to get TRVs fitted on all radiators in my house. It does require the system to be drained and re-filled and it took him a half a day to do 6 radiators. He wasn't Corgi registered, you don't need to be for this job. Like ormus said, a handyman can do the job and probably for much less.
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 12,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sparky883 wrote: »
    How much would you like to pay to:

Travel To Your House
    Drain the central Heating System
    Fit 2 valves
    Fill Back Up the central heating system
    Bleed the radiators
    Get the pressure correct
    Check for leaks
    Guarantee the work for ??

So whats reasnoble £20,30,40 ??? What do you think??

Ive watched a plumber change a rad valve without draining the system down, took him 5 minutes. He was pretty coy about how, but apparently its a little 'trick' of the trade which involves a small plastic cone in the header tank I believe. They only us it for quick jobs like what the poster needs.
  • You can't compare your travel to the travelling a plumber has to do. You only go to school once a day and he could be travelling for half his day.

He has to have it covered somehow.
    And obviously there are a lot of plumbers answering :rotfl: it was a plumbing question :rotfl:
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
  • Many thanks again for all your replies. At least I get a good picture now of what is involved in doing this job, even if from what I can see there are different opinions as to what is the best way to go about changing the valves (and different costs).

On a personal note I wish some people could be a little more polite and not so aggressive, there is no need for that under the circumstance as no offence was meant by me in any case. After all my initial enquiry was perfectly legitimate (this is a money saving website) and was directed to anyone out there who might have had a radiator valve to replace (not necessarily a plumber). Of course, if I'd wanted to be ripped off I would have surely looked in the Yellow pages (as it has been suggested) and not posted a question here. Anyway, many thanks again. I hope I can solve this soon as one of the radiators is now leaking, valve is broken and held only by a pin, if I remove that I have a flood on my hands! Mac
  • For the record: as a supply teacher I get paid £20 an hour and I pay tax on that too, no cash in hand (the privilege of some plumbers).
    I really don't think you understand the financial mechanics of being self employed. For the record you pay tax on the money you receive AFTER your personal tax allowance has been deducted. Self employed don't have that luxury. Self employed are not allowed to pay themselves a salary. They are taxed on their profits - that's errm everything between turnover and costs.
    Why should the work of a professional plumber be worth more than mine?
    Is it? You are not paying for his time - you are paying for his knowledge, skills and having the correct tools with him to do the job. Would it make you feel better to pay an odd job man £ 10.00 an hour and for him to take 8 hours to do the job? Thats six additional hours you have to be at home when you could be out taking class and earning your £20 an hour. But hey he's getting a lower hourly rate than you so that's OK. Is it?
  • The Valve is leaking now!! So now you need an Emergency Plumber that will be even more expensive,As is leaving it for 3 days when you already had somone to do the work at the right price,
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 12,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sparky883 wrote: »
    The Valve is leaking now!! So now you need an Emergency Plumber that will be even more expensive,As is leaving it for 3 days when you already had somone to do the work at the right price,

Why do you need an emergency plumber? Jesus, draining a CH system down does not need a plumber.

If the OP just ties up the ballcock so the header tank can't refill, then drain from the lowest radiator, job done. Then you can replace the valve at your own pace for free! Everyone should have a basic knowledge of how their CH system works in case of a leak. Im sure plumbers wish to make it look hard, which some things are, hence require a professional. Though replacing a valve does not, which I place in the same bracket as replacing a tap....something you should know.
  • Good morning: The OP hasn't stated whether she has a open- vented or sealed system.:confused:

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure