Mondeo Automatic Gearbox issues

2»

Comments

• Depends if those valves are hydraulically or electronically controlled. I don't know the gearbox, but what I do know is that dipping the box to test the fluid takes around 30 seconds, and costs nothing.
  • tekie
    tekie Posts: 144
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Most dealers won't know how to diagnose an automatic gearbox - they will normally look at the "computer says fault" message and recommend replacement.

On my Dads bucket-o-crap A-Class, Merc wanted £5k to fit a new gearbox - We used fedauto.co.uk and found the genius that is Trevor King at King Automatics in Epsom, Surrey. He charged us £1,300 to replace the burnt out valve body and ECU.

Thanks a lot for that recommendation, I've found another reference for that person from honest john.co.uk website. I think I have to take my car over there. Once again thank you very much for your advise.
  • tekie
    tekie Posts: 144
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    i think it would work out a lot cheaper to simply replace the car.

You could sell your own on ebay along the lines of '2001 Ford Mondeo Automatic, good condition, mot'd, but gearbox fault hence £395. Still drives'

Or something like that.

That was my first reaction, but this car is in good condition except the gearbox problem, and I've been driving this car for the last 3 years, the hassle of selling it and again finding a new one and I'm not sure I can go for a smaller car, coz I'm so used to this one. So I would rather fix this one and stay with my buddy for now...thanks for your recommendation though
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Reverse gear problems sound like a selector problem. The gearchanges and jerkiness sounds like the valve body is shot - the most common failure on autos.

There is a small clip that snaps off. just done one on an Audi with the ZF box that everyone seems to be using these days!

ASymptoms were lazy getting in reverse and a bit thumpy between 2/3...
  • My X reg mondy is having a spring replaced and while in garage overnight oil was leaking on floor.

Repairer has looked underneath the car cos he knew it was gear fluid and says the gearbox case has a crack and the oil is dripping.

Can a gearbox casing be repaired and if so how long will it last or can the case be replaced and at what kind of cost?

The car is in full working order apart from this and has only done 52K miles.

I have had it for nearly 4 years and done 26K miles.

I love my mondy and cant be without a car cos I live rurally and cant walk very far....no real public transport.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mondykat wrote: »
    My X reg mondy is having a spring replaced and while in garage overnight oil was leaking on floor.

Repairer has looked underneath the car cos he knew it was gear fluid and says the gearbox case has a crack and the oil is dripping.

Can a gearbox casing be repaired and if so how long will it last or can the case be replaced and at what kind of cost?

The car is in full working order apart from this and has only done 52K miles.

I have had it for nearly 4 years and done 26K miles.

I love my mondy and cant be without a car cos I live rurally and cant walk very far....no real public transport.

Probably cheaper to fit a refurbed gearbox.

However, most refurbs are priced based on an exchange price - i.e. you provide a re-serviceable gearbox. As the casing is cracked, you should explain this when requesting a quote as a surcharge will probably apply.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure