Boiler Making Loud Banging Noise

This happens every now and again, probably less than once a month, it bangs/clicks really loudly about 4-5 times, only lasts a few seconds, we dont lose pressure, and everything goes back to normal straight after.

What is it?

I have called British gas out before for this and they have changed thermostats in the boiler and obviously have not fixed it. I am on Home care with BG but i feel they dont really care much for investigaton.

Any help really appreciated.

Comments

• either 1 of 2 things

the flow of water to the boiler is insufficient
    or
    steam bubbles are causing hot spots in the boiler, this is caused by corrosion and scale forming in the boiler. add non acidic cleanser and de-scaler to the feed and expansion tank. give it a day or 2 to do its work and everything should be ok
  • either 1 of 2 things

the flow of water to the boiler is insufficient
    or
    steam bubbles are causing hot spots in the boiler, this is caused by corrosion and scale forming in the boiler. add non acidic cleanser and de-scaler to the feed and expansion tank. give it a day or 2 to do its work and everything should be ok

Where can I get this cleanser and descaler from?
  • as much as i hate advertising go to that well known diy chain that crops up in every square inch of business park aka B&Q. dont just ask one of the thicko's on teh shop floor. we have one near us next to a morrisons. my brother went in and asked for some biscuits (most of you will know these are used to join bits of wood together) the stupid spatula told my brother that he was in the wrong place and he wanted the supermarket next door.
    so anyway, go to customer service and ask them there, they'll get a half educated fool to sort it for you
  • You really like B&Q then!!!

Ok I will go down and have a look round, any idea on price? From what I gather this could be the start of something serious right? and I need to get it sorted?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    About a month ago I treated our system with Sentinel x200 de-scaler and noise reducer bought from a local plumbers merchant for £9.65. I was very sceptical that it would actually work but after a few days the system was quiet again! Drain the header tank and put the Sentinel directly into the header tank outlet, rather than just pouring it into the header tank.

:T
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    I shall watch this thread with interest as i have the same problem. Although we dont have a stand alone boiler, ours is a back boiler behind the gas fire etc. The noise it makes though sometimes relaly is quite scary. It happens at least once a week. The last time it happened i heard a really loud crash and bang noise and was expecting to hear someone shout out from upstairs as i thought someone or something had fell. It was the boiler/pipes or whatever it is making the noise.
    We live in a council house though and im tempted to ring them up but i reckon they would think im a bit strange ringing to say ' i need someone to come out and look at the heating as its making funny noises'!!
    I shall watch and see how you get on first. :)
  • jaxxy00 wrote:
    I shall watch this thread with interest as i have the same problem. Although we dont have a stand alone boiler, ours is a back boiler behind the gas fire etc. The noise it makes though sometimes relaly is quite scary. It happens at least once a week. The last time it happened i heard a really loud crash and bang noise and was expecting to hear someone shout out from upstairs as i thought someone or something had fell. It was the boiler/pipes or whatever it is making the noise.
    We live in a council house though and im tempted to ring them up but i reckon they would think im a bit strange ringing to say ' i need someone to come out and look at the heating as its making funny noises'!!
    I shall watch and see how you get on first. :)

i could be wrong but it sounds like air in the pipes. id ring em up could me something and nothing but better safe than sorry. also ask them when your boiler is going to be changed as part of the better homes program.

as for me not liking b&q, i do like them, but in very small quantities. nothing against students but at least employ students with some knowledge. the people that work in the one hear me are about as much use as tits on a fish
  • DilbertJones
    DilbertJones Posts: 670 Forumite
    espresso wrote:
    About a month ago I treated our system with Sentinel x200 de-scaler and noise reducer bought from a local plumbers merchant for £9.65. I was very sceptical that it would actually work but after a few days the system was quiet again! Drain the header tank and put the Sentinel directly into the header tank outlet, rather than just pouring it into the header tank.

:T

How on earth do I drain my header tank?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    robodan wrote:
    How on earth do I drain my header tank?

Well assuming that you actually have a header tank in your loft for your central heating system, you just need to drain off some water from a drain tap which should be fitted to the downstairs radiators. I just drained off a couple of bucket fulls to empty the header tank but not the whole system.

If you don't have a header tank, this Sentinel stuff can be bought in an alternative package, which can be injected into a radiator bleed valve. see here for this method.

HTH
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • economiser
    economiser Posts: 897 Forumite
    If you have a header tank and cannot find ad drain point you could simply bale some water out into a bucket. You don't have to drain the tank completely, just enough to get the descaler in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure