IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

toby carvery

morning all

visited the local toby carvery yesterday to find they had introduced a ticket machine and the car park now run by LPS.Asking the manager why this is now happening he mentioned that too many people were parking there to use the local shops/church etc fair enough stopping legit customer using premises, so the system that is implemented is that you pay £2 for a ticket half of it stays in the car and the other half you present in the pub when ordering food/drink and you get the £2 back.seems ok but i did present him with a scenario and it went like this.

customer turns up with no change, goes to the bar and has to wait 10-15 mins before getting served (which is quite common) in the meantime his table becomes available forgets to go out and get ticket sits down eats meal, has drinks pays bill goes back out to car finds pcn attached to w/screen what happens then.

answer, we have been told once pcn ( or fine in his words) has been issued they can do nothing about it mmmm (gets better) so if dont pay what next - you get taken to court, by whom - the parking company -they cant take me to court - why not - do they own the land - no - thats why not - ok so why do they then ask for £90 or £45 if paid in 14 days is that your actual losses - what do you mean - well as i have say spent £50 on food and drink and not bought a ticket all they can recover is losses incurred so would your losses be £45 or £90 or £0- no answer given - anyway parking is nothing to do with us - yes it is - why - because as you have hired them you are jointly liable for any harraament claim that you might receive -harrassment claim ??? - yes as one company or person cannot penalise another person or company what they are asking for is a penalty not a reasonable loss so with the expected threatening letters that then entail your company can open itself up to an harrassment claim- wouldnt it be better just to pay the £ 2 - have you actually listened to the point i raised and with that he just turned round muttering he was busy. Now before i getted shouted down all i was mentioning a scenario that might happen and the possible loss of custom and before you ask i did pay the £2.

seems like another large company has been fed the B******T by this company because they were told do have a recognised certification by the BPA, i did mention that they were run by the parking companies and only look after their own.

any way rant over have a nice day.

Comments

• Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Write to the CEO. The organ grinder, not the monkey.

I would also suggest that you also make a formal staff attitude complaint against the manager for his rudeness. You do not turn your back on and walk away from a customer.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • hammer68
    hammer68 Posts: 147 Forumite
    i have emailed mitchells and butler the above scenario and have asked if they could implement a system that if a customer genuinely forgets to purchase a ticket, spends money and then gets a pcn that they can cancel it on the spot. i await their reply
  • Stephen_Leak
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Re-arrange the following words into a well-known phrase or saying ... us, with, do, to, nothing, it's. :)
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Seems like the bar staff don't know the legalities, may not even be happy with the situation, and don't really feel it's their place to deal with "what-if" scenarios.

Too many companies are now charging for parking, and basically you have the option of going elsewhere.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would also suggest that you also make a formal staff attitude complaint against the manager for his rudeness. You do not turn your back on and walk away from a customer.

I couldn't disagree more.

We all know that this scam isn't well known. So if I was an uninformed staff member, and some smart alec came in acting all clever, trying to "catch me out" then I'd damn well walk away as well. The OP sounded extremely patronising.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • fb1969
    fb1969 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My experience of complaining to M&B's head office is that they pass it straight to the landlord/manager of the place concerned. So I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a worthwhile reply.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fb1969 wrote: »
    My experience of complaining to M&B's head office is that they pass it straight to the landlord/manager of the place concerned. So I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a worthwhile reply.

Which is why complaints like this should go to the top, the CEO. Their name should on record. Then, if the reply comes back from anyone else, throw it back at them, demanding a reply from the person you wrote to.

I spent 28 years in customer service. I expect the same level of service I gave my customers.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    None of the above means anything whatsoever as presumably the person parking does not have to pay the penalty anyway. But by all means write to the CEO. The best solution is to vote with your feet and let the manager know why at the same time. By the way, who are LPS, do they ever do court.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Loss of the odd real customer here and there will be more than made up for by the actual customers that can now park and use the pub, when the motorists using the local shops/church etc have been scared away. And enough will be. One of our locals was plagued with shoppers. We used to block them in the small yard which usually parked double anyway. Then watch them sheepishly come in, and give them the run around for half an hour until we could "find" the owner of the car that blocked them.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ahh, good old vigilantism. Can't beat it.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure