npower bill problem

i recieved a letter from a debt collection agency this morning saying i owed npower 400 ish pounds for outstanding electricity bill from previous address.

when i moved out i got final bills as the npower gas was in my name but not for electricity as wasnt in my name and their were other tenants in the house

i paided the final bills and left i redirected my mail for 6 months never heard from n power, when leaving old house i left my contact details with tenants still there incase any bills came in never heard anything.

i called npower about this bill as it was never in my name they said the landlord put my name on the bill and they didnt ask him for proof or confirmation that all i lived there

also all the bills and letters from npower never had my name on hense no mail was ever recieved by me or erdirected to my new address

now they say the account was transferd to me and i am liable for the amount even though they never contacted me about putting the account in my name or ever sent the bills in my name

how can they transfer the account on someone elses say so and not even notify me . then make me liable for it

i ve told them that there was 3 other tenants at that time and i m happy to pay my share and i m having to go through citizens advice to sort tennacy agreement from old landlord

can npower just change accounts to other people on a strangers say so ?

also what would you recommend to do in this situation

npower wont even discuss it

Comments

• No they can't and i don't know why they did. Ask for a manager.
  • I'm having a similar problem.

I asked them to close my account about a year ago and set up payments to chip away at the amount left.

I got a red letter through the door saying I now owe £450+ on the electric alone. . . . . seems they haven't closed my account and have been billing me for someone else's usage.

Got nowhere on the phone. Trying to prove when I moved out. I refuse to pay a penny more than I owe, but very worried about debt collector scum and the courts.
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    sorry to pick up an old thread but its important: NPOWER never change!
    my wife moved out a property in 2007, and has just now received the threatening letters for an unpain bill from...2010! 3 years after she left.
    they apparently put her name on the account without her say so and need a tenancy agreement to cancel the debt (to prove she wasnt there)
    unfortunately as there was no tenanct agreement (lodger with 2 or 3 others) she is a little confused.
    luckily she is foreign so her police registration should suffice showing current address for the last few years but the point is... the calls ive put through to them they are unbelievabley useless!
    collections department say 'so what, its your bill, we will win in court'
    ive had to file a complaint against them, and collections specifically, but we are away for 2 weeks so nothing is moving on.
    once it is resolved im looking at financing a court case for compensation, ive had to take days off work to try to get paperwork that doesnt exist, she has stress, work has suffered etc etc. but is it all a hassle, should i just file a report with the ombudsman and forget a compensation claim for harassment, and I do have proof of harassment.
    she never signed up, never added her name to the account, and moreover never even paid a bill while there, it was always someone else. plus, in the intervening years, the bill has been paid....by whoever lives there!

any npower reps, you should be ashamed.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If she was a tenant she is jointly and severally liable for the entire bill for the entire duration of her time there.
  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    All the landlord has todo is provide a tennancy, within that it says you are liable for the payment of gas and electric......not just npower but every supplier it applys
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    thing is, she moved out in 2007 and the bill is for a quarter in 2010, for fuel used in 2010, not when she was living there, they havent supplied a bill, no proof of her as the account holder, basically they have got her name and attached it to the bill.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport