Co-operative Bank-reclaiming bank charges

Comments

• CO-OP BANK -Have received a reply to my first letter saying someone will contact me by phone or letter within 7 days. As this will be just over 14 days since I originally wrote to them I will wait and see if they do before going onto LBA.
  • LilDevil
    LilDevil Posts: 684 Forumite
    I've had success with the Coop - they refused to pay the interest and also some of the charges as they'd reduced them to within the OFT's guidelines.

They settled really quickly - within the original 14 days I asked for - see my sigs below!!!!

Angie
  • manda1578 wrote: »
    The co op have sent me a letter and enclosing dates, commission, then debit interest and the last column is fees, so I am quite confused which columns I should claim back from can anyone help me understand this?

Im just about to send a request for a refund of my unpaid item fees, as the co op seem to take the first letter litterally and only send a copy of the fees encurred and not statements it is really difficult to know what can and cant be claimed, so Im just claiming the standard £35 unpaid item fees, which on statements are referred to as Commission, but on fees letter are under the FEES heading, if I could understand it better I would also claim back the interest on these fees, so I think Im losing out, unless anyone can clarify what else can be claimed, it just isnt clear on the letter, wish they'd sent my statements, but Im not waiting another 40 or more days!
  • I sent my second letter to the Co-operative Bank asking for my charges to be refunded plus interest. They refunded the charges less the interest. Can I still ask for the interest by proceeding to the small claims court?

The Co-Operative said debit interest was not included in the OFT statement and that the refund was as a gesture of goodwill on this occasion only.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If this is the 8% interest that you asked for this is added by the court only if you actually start a court action. You have to accept the offer as it is in full settlement of your claim.
  • The Cooperative bank ..... incompetant or stalling ??

I sent a request to the coop bank on 1st march .I sent it recorded delivery and they recieved it on the 2nd march .
    Ive just phoned them as ive not heard anything from them although its only been 17 days now only to be told that they can't find any trace of my request even though Royal mail have confermed it was signed for .
    Further more it took half an hour of being put on hold to find this out .
    And their response was ............ "Can you send the request in again ??"
    I told them that they only had 23 days left in which to supply me with the infomation they requested and all they could say was " you'll have to send the request in again and it will be 40 days from when we recieve it "

What should i do ???

Send the request in again or write them another letter telling them it's not my fault that the request has been lost and that i regard the 40 day period as starting from when they originally signed for the first letter ???
  • Hi Bluesunshine and others chasing Co-op bank charges .... I sent my DPA request in on the 2nd March and called last week. I asked for the Data Protection Officer, and was put through to someone who was very helpful and explained that due to the 'backlog' they would be dealing with requests from the first week of March around the 22nd ... she gave me her direct dial to call if I hadn't received it by the end of this week! will keep you posted ...
  • Hi ponygirl ,

any chance of having the data protection officers direct number ?
  • Hi Bluesunshine
    Just at work ... will look it up and get back you you and others! Am about to phone and give her hell anyway as still haven't received my list of charges and am itching to send my 2nd letter ...
  • I successfully claimed back £245 from the Co Op, which they have charged me over 6 months due to 2 instances of going overdrawn, though both times the money was repaid promptly. They charged me £25 initially each time, then applied a charge the next two months. I can't figure out how they calculate it but it varied between 25 and 75 pounds. They give it different names so its harder to spot on your statement.

They paid me back fairly quick (within 3 weeks) and they refunded the full amount (though I didn't claim for debit interest as I didn't think it was possible.) The letter they sent stated that they understood my frustration but that the charges were totally valid and they were refunding them as a gesture of goodwill that would not be repeated.
    Unfortunately, in between sending my letter to them and getting the refund I went overdrawn again. It was for less than 24 hours but when I phoned they said it wasn't possible to stop the charge before it was applied (not true) but I could try to claim it back afterwards, and that it would only be £25- also not true! So I decided I've had enough- I cancelled all my direct debits and withdrew all my money. I've kept the account open- I know they dont charge you til you have money in the account so I'm hoping to keep them in limbo. Should I close the account? Can they do anything to affect my credit rating- I'm thinking not as the charges havent been applied yet but I don't want to risk it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure