Post Office credit card - internet banking?

Options
2»

Comments

• chriskross
    Options
    Agree with all above. My desktop PC is Linux only, and I did manage to get the site 'working' (an even worse display of an already atrocious site!) by pretending it's using IE (though I don't like doing this, as they won't change anything if they think everyone's using IE). However, no more. Even using Opera, it seems to go through the login process, and then gives a message 'Currently unavailable'. After several tries of this, I used IE at work, and it had no problems. I complained about the site nearly 2 years ago when I first got the card.

The irony is that if you go to bankofireland dot co dot uk their GUI is much cleaner, and it offers an option for users of Safari. I still don't like the idea of offering options for specific browsers, but at least they recognise the problems. The source code for that site seems much better (cites w3c.org in its header), so why not use the same coding for the PO card? The BoI site looks very professional,; surprised they're content to have a sub-site that is truly the worst-looking site to look at and use I've ever seen. Just found references on the PO site which talks about accessibility, then mentions that parts of the site (including the CC application page) don't comply with standards!

I'm planning on writing a letter, quoting w3c.org and anybrowser.org on how to design as site so it works on multiple browsers. BTW, validator.w3.org threw up 25 errors on the main page!
  • learmonth
    Options
    If you havn't got Internet Explorer, there is a version of Opera for most operating systems and you can set Opera to tell the Post Office website that it is Internet Explorer, which gets round their blocking screen.

Open www . pofssavecredit . co . uk in Opera. Then go to 'Tools' - 'Quick Preferences' - 'Edit site preferences'. Select the 'Network' tab and use the drop down list to set the Browser Identification to 'Identify as Internet Explorer' This only applies to this domain and will be remembered for future visits.

Using this technique I had no problems accessing my account - I did not find the layout much worse than in Internet Explorer.

I agree with the point made by others that all sites should comply with the proper international standards and that we should not be forced to use software produced by one particular commercial company.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    My experience with the PO platinum card :

Application : Faultless

Limit : Good ( > £5K )

Delivery of card : Prompt

Blocked abroad : No ( unlike others when i was in Oz )

Customer service : Excellent on the phone

DD setup : Faultless

... And yet still i will be leaving them soon. It is simply unacceptable in this day and age to not have an easily accessible internet banking system. Such a shame. Especially as i believe BOI customers have a fully functioning site. They really are doing themselves a diservice. :(
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    See my post today about my PO CC application. Reading this, I'm glad I'm not going ahead with it!
  • choc_mouse
    Options
    Old thread but agree with the above. Actually, the PO have improved and now the internet banking supports other web browsers.

Previously only supported IE. Works fine on Safari and probably Firefox although the user interface is still very amateurish. Am able to get the info I need though.
  • cos_2
    cos_2 Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2010 at 12:00AM
    Options
    I'm another customer who was initially a bit peeved he couldn't use his preferred browser, i.e. (lol) Firefox without being warned.

But then I thought, there's a presumption most folk on this site would hold that, if we phoned, we would get an English speaker on the line. Well, I've checked Barclaycard and see none of that. No pre warning at all. We have to accept English or attempt something else, maybe Opera?

What I'm badly trying to say is that the PO offers an accessible site and each and every one of us has the capability to use it if we wish. It's not rocket-science, and it's not any huge incumbrance upon any of us, if we are being completely honest.
  • beattie
    beattie Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i got in touch with Post Office customer service ,having trouble logging on to internet banking mmmm, Iwas told they still have the same issues with any browser except IE and that they had until 2014 to legally sort it out .Not bad that is it . It will be 6 years to my reckoning with the same problem Anyway i am sorted now nothing changes :wall:
  • Wammer
    Wammer Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I can access the PO credit card site using Opera. However I don't think it has the facility to download statements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure