House alarm keeps going off...help!

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If the tamper light is flashing, is a zone light also lit? If so it's almost certainly a wiring or sensor fault in that zone.

If nothing obvious with the wiring, it should be possible to take out of circuit each sensor in turn (with the control panel in engineer mode) to narrow it down to a specific sensor.
  • Linbox
    Linbox Posts: 383 Forumite
    Battery needs changing
  • Linbox
    Linbox Posts: 383 Forumite
    Or/and the tamper spring/button needs kludging (technical term)
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    That's a very detailed and useful post but I suspect he's already fixed it somehow in the three and a half years since the thread was started.

Well it's obviously always useful as a hostorical thing also as I am searching the same problem in Sept 2011 and the post is very useful to me too !:j:j:j
  • I have a problem with our alarm, it's an Accord...sorry don't know model number but it was put in around 2002 by previous owner, we had an internal alarm go off because it lost mains power around 10pm, but I didn't realise this, then at 3am the whole kit and kaboodle went off due to the standby battery running down, we got the engineer out and he has diagnosed a knackered transformer and reccommended a replacement panel, £180 we can't afford before xmas so I said just leave it. then after two days of no feed and no battery power to it, the external siren has started making a buzzing (or maybe rapid clicking ) noise...this has gone on now for 24 hours and shows no sign of stopping! Any idea's? does it sound like it has a battery in that is run down? I'll be having a look tomorrow as we're not interested in reinstating the alarm just yet, we just want some peace!!!

Thanks
  • fwor
    I'm not saying that your engineer was making work for himself, but a replacement panel would be ~so~ much more profitable for him than a replacement battery. However, a knackered battery is far, far more likely than a knackered transformer.

The latter do fail - often during power cuts or electrical storms - but the former are consumables. The Yuasa lead-acid ones usually have a service life of only a few years each, unless the panel is well designed.

Your guess is right about the external sounder, which will have a self activating bell module installed. It will die of its own accord, but it's impossible to predict how soon, as it depends on too many factors.
  • thanks for the quick response, i was there when he checked it with his meter he said he had 230V going into the transformer and zero coming out? are the external batteries easy to get at and remove?
  • fwor
    he checked it with his meter he said he had 230V going into the transformer and zero coming out? are the external batteries easy to get at and remove?

If he's trustworthy, sounds like a failed transformer. If not he could be telling you anything he liked.

Yes, in your case the battery should be easy if you're Ok with working at that height. The problem normally is attention from neighbours when the bell activates, but that won't be an issue for you...
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Glad i came across this post. sister is having a similar problem.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • Can anyone please help me? New Year has not started well. My alarm has sounded 3 times in the last 18 hours (full alarm). About 3 pm yesterday, 11pm and this morning NYD at 8am (rough estimations of times). The alarm was set to day at the time, so not even armed. The alarm reason light suggests "attack". This is pressumably one of the attack buttons its referring to. There are 2 in my house and neither have been pressed. I was doing some DIY yesterday at the time of the first alarm but whilst I was near the attack button it wasn't pressed. I did pin down the attack alarm wiring but using the usual cable hooks and nails - an issue with the wiring would surely cause the tamper alarm though? It seems too coincidental. Can anyone please help, my wife is 7 months pregnant and I'd rather the baby didn't arrive early and/or with tinnitus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure